Saturday, 30 July 2011

Play it again, Sam!

.
I'm going through a bit of a quiet patch
on this here blog of mine!
But then I've noticed that a few others are
also having a break or a rest.
Well, it is the holiday season and perhaps quite a few
are enjoying the stimulus of a new environment.
Reading other blogs can give you ideas,
and Molly was saying that she was a bit stuck as she seems to be writing about the same things she did twelve months ago.
I have also found this to be the case.
Someone said "Do it again, it will be new to people who
were not readers last year."

OK.

So, what am I doing today that I also did this time last year?
Well, in a minute, I will be loading up the car and setting
off to North Dean for their annual fete.
Looks like a lovely day....
as it was last year.......

Now this below is a repeat.
(I shall take my camera and no doubt
take a few pictures, - but I bet they will not
be very different from last year.)

July 2010
.
.
As you know I like to include a front sheet of some music with my posts -
and this was the best I could think of today.
On Saturday I was playing, not Nellie Dean but,
at a delightful little village up in Chilterns called North Dean.
.
.
I took a few pictures at the start before the crowds arrived.
That's my pitch on the right.

I tried to find out something about North Dean, but all my books cover Speen, but nothing about the two Dean's - North & South. The whole area is beautiful farming countryside and years ago would have been home to lace makers, farmers and chair makers working in the Hampden woods.

This Saturday was, however, the day of the Village Fete
.
.
My friend Dennis (another Deane - but with an ' e') was asked to play there, as he had on previous years, but this time he was booked to play elsewhere. I was asked if I would take his place.
How could I miss out on such a charming location and only a few miles from home.

.
.
Some familiar stopping places.

Dennis, unfortunately didn't make it to either of the locations this year!
Last week, whilst cutting back his apple tree,
he fell off the ladder and damaged his knee.

Look what you missed out on!
.
.
And just look at the size of those sausages!
They looked like real Farmer's sausages to me.
I was tempted - but being on a low fat diet, I resisted.

.
.
A real Coconuts Shy

And I just had to take a closer look at that those fantastic houses behind where I was playing.

.
.
Idyllic.
.
There was a slight difference however.

This year I played all the new music I had
arranged and punched over these last 12 months.
.
PS - Just got back home.
It was a great day out. Wall to wall sun.
There were more people there than last year,
and so many people were interested in my music and playing,
that I never got round to taking pictures this year.
You missed nothin', (except my music).
It was very much the same events, as Molly said.
.

10 comments:

  1. Well for me it was a lovely look at your day, I was not a blogger last year and I find the places you go and your music stories just lovely.Thanks from me Bernard as this is all new to me and I could almost smell those snags cooking,how strong you were to resist, I am afraid I would not have been able to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those old timbered buildings and the sight of those sausages! Mmmmmm!!! Glad you had a lovely day. It does one good to get out and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh a summer's day in England at its best. Sounds like a great day in a lovely spot. Wish I was there !!!!!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just keep on doing your thing Uncle B, we love it all xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks and sounds like a great day out. Those buildings are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing like the good old village fete for lifting morale! Ours runs on the same lines year after year and yet, everyone still has a great time. Bernard, thank you for your words of wisdom I really appreciate them. I look forward to reading your blog and though every year seems the same, it isn't, because we've all moved on that little bit more and there are new things. On reflection whatever new fad comes up on the internet, the community spirit that blogger has built up, takes some beating and that's where I really want to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Carole,
    Actually it is not a bad idea to repeat things occasionally, is it?
    I better not do it too often though.

    Good morning Foody,
    Yes, there is something really special about ‘real’ sausage being cooked over charcoal. I guess it is the ’juices’ and fat burning as it drips on the coals that does it.
    It’s never the same in the kitchen under the grill.

    Yes Helen, a really quiet little spot up in a valley. It is quite hot and dry now and things start to look ‘just past their best’ - a few dry curled edges to everything.

    Will do Kath. :D

    Very expensive building in this ‘neck of the woods’ CherryPie.
    Way beyond my means. :O

    Hello Molly,
    Round here we actually have too many fetes. It is difficult to know which one to go to.
    Some are very modest affairs just run by the village committee and others are absolutely packed out with stalls and events. Here, the same vintage cars turn up every year, the same traction engines, the same organs playing the same music, - never mind, - everyone enjoys it if the weather is kind to us.

    Thank you all for popping over. I have been to quite a few rallies and fetes this year - and there’s a big one coming up next weekend. Instead of doing a ‘write-up’ on each, I may get 30 pictures together and do a slide-show with a bit of music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Bernard. Thank you for popping over to visit my blog. Lovely photographs you have in your posting. Ailsa Craig isn't a mountain, it sits out in the Firth of Clyde a huge lump of rock, millions of years ago it was probably connected to the main land. It's an uninhabited island and is formed from the volcanic plug of an extinct volcano.
    It has a bird sanctuary, and the granit used from there is used to make curling stones. Yes I also have heard of the tomatoes of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bernard,
    I try to leave comments but - it takes an age to try and then won't work. I do read the blog, though. Just so you know I'm not ignoring you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning Ann,
    Trust me to get it wrong. :(
    I have never holidayed in Scotland you see, so I don't know about these things. I used to work in 'North sea Oil industry' based in London and flew up to Aberdeen many times on business but never got to see any of the country.

    Hello Sylve,
    I understand.
    I didn't know you were still having trouble. I thought you computer problem was sorted?

    ReplyDelete