.

.
Oh! Mr. Porter, what shall I do?
I want to go to Birmingham , and they're taking me on to Crewe,
Send me back to London, as quickly as you can,
Oh! Mr. Porter, what a silly girl I am.
This songs dates back to 1893. It is similar to two other songs that Marie Lloyd sang...both about country girls visiting London and their experiences.
"I've never lost my last train yet" and "What did she know about railways?" This last one including that line....."She'd never had her ticket punched before".
Way back in Victorian days, the line from London (Paddington) to Birmingham actually came across the Thames here at Bourne End, and then on to Aylesbury, Oxford and Birmingham.
People used to joke about the initials GWR (Great Western Railway) actually stood for "Great Way Round", as many of these early lines did not and could not take the shortest route.
In 1969 through services to Aylesbury ceased and in 1970 the Bourne End stretch was finally closed.
.
.
Here it is today. A delightful and peaceful walk from Bourne End to Wooburn Green. After the closure, many places on the line were built over, but this little bit here has now been designated a public footpath.
.
Apart from all the native flowers we get lots of yellow Rapeseed and this delightful blue Linseed flower.
.
.
Who'd have though that trains to Birmingham once thundered along this now leafy lane?
.

I did smile at the "Dear old gentleman" he looks like a right old rogue! Very interesting to see the photo of the old railway line. My garden at Wooburn Green, used to back onto the old track, but I believe it has since been built on.Kath
ReplyDeleteMy word Kath, you have moved about a bit. Maidenhead, Winter Hill and Wooburn Green. My last job, before I retired six years ago, was in an office overlooking the Green
ReplyDeleteCheers......Bernard
That railway has certainly turned into something very beautiful and especially love that last photo :-)
ReplyDeleteDo you know, just after I published this, I thought Cherie, being an expert, will probably like that last picture. Actually I took about six at that spot and picked the best.
ReplyDeleteYes, I have always been rather Nomadic, hence the caravan! Kath
ReplyDeleteWhat caravan? I thought you lived at Railway Cottage?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the compliment :-) I am not really an expert, but I am a bit fussy with my own photos.
ReplyDeleteNothing wrong with that, Cherie...
ReplyDeleteAs my old Dad would say " If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well".