.
.
"I was never Kissed before, in this kind of Way"
Just recently, every day has brought with it yet another puckered-up politician trying to look continental. The most embarrassing that I have seen so far was an image of Hillary Clinton's lips bearing down on poor, old Gordon Broon. The Labour leader, to give him his due, dodged the visiting Secretary of State's assault with that last-minute-head-swivel, burying his face in her collar instead.
.
.
I'm not sure if Hillary Clinton qualifies as an angel, but our Mr Broon is certainly a sinner, selling off all our gold a rock bottom prices.
.
.
We English are hopeless at it, well I am for sure. I find the ‘cheek to cheek’ greeting a total embarrassment when confronted by it. Why do we persist? What is this yearning for all things continental.
If we do insist on trying to make the kissing work, the answer is a dignified passing of one cheek against the other, with no contact, moisture exchange or residue of any kind.
And besides…..think of all those ’Pig flue germs’ that might be lurking there.
.

Yes, I find it hard to "get" this cheeks together and kissing the air thing. I wish we could just shake hands.
ReplyDeleteI do quite like the cheek greeting or even a hug but only with people who are my friends/colleagues. Not just some random person because it is diplomatic to do so...
ReplyDeleteyuk! a nice hug from someone we care for, but not a semi-stranger, let alone this air kissy thing.And what about that hug that can occur when someone is actually holding you away?very strange!
ReplyDeleteThanks all. We seem to agree on not "kissing the air"!
ReplyDeleteI too prefer to keep hugging to the family and hand shaking to other acquaintances. It's watching politicians trying to do it that makes me cringe.
Family only is my motto, but sometimes I find I'm grabbed by acquaintances when I least expect it. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteI'll take a great hug any day from anyone who wants to give it. Some people are such great huggers, you can't pass the opportunity. My son has a friend - Ginormous Ryan - who is very, very tall. He has long arms, too, and he just sort of wraps you all up in the friendliest way. My husband's family is British on both sides and they're not huggers. I've always felt sorry for them. So here's a big hug from California for all you folks who may not even want one!
ReplyDeleteI'm on the next flight! Jan.
ReplyDeleteThere is a difference between a nice hug and all this continental 'kissing' and rubbing cheeks. I think you will find that quite a few people here agree with you about hugging.