.
Now here's a roll with three cracking tunes on it......
The Can Can
The Sun has got his Hat on.
Ma, He's Making Eyes at me
.
.
But out of those three, you can always rely on the Can Can to be the most popular.
When I took the organ up to Kidderminster to the children's party, the lawn was a mass of girls (and boys) kicking their legs up and really living it up.
When I took the organ up to Kidderminster to the children's party, the lawn was a mass of girls (and boys) kicking their legs up and really living it up.
The Galop from Jacques Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld is the tune most associated with the can-can.
The cancan is danced in 2/4 time, and is now usually performed on stage in chorus-line style.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries the cancan was viewed as much more erotic because the dancers often wore no undergarments or made use of the extravagant underwear of the period, and the contrasting black stockings. They lifted and manipulated their skirts much more, and incorporated a move sometimes considered the most cheeky and provocative—bending over and throwing their skirts over their backs, revealing their nude buttocks.
.
.
And whilst on the subject of skirts...I read that....
Debenhams have been busy doing some research and now proclaim that:-
“Mini-skirts are increasingly being worn by older women, as changing fashions mean it has become acceptable to show bare knees up to the age of 40.
Two decades ago few women would have risked the shorter length after they passed the age of 33 - a figure unchanged since the mini's 1960s heyday, according to a study by the department store.”
After the age of 40 skirt lengths begin the journey South with 18ins the average until the age of 42 when they drop below the knee.
By the age of 51 the mini is a distant memory for most with maxi-skirts - 32.5ins long - the most popular choice.
Of course if you live in Australia , I suppose the skirt hem will “begin the journey” North!
.

.
No comment.
.
But I can manage a couple of ditties....
Auntie Mary had a canary
Up the leg o' her drawers,
She pulled a string
And made it sing
And it whistled the 'Cock o' the North'.
and
I married a bonny wee Yorkshire lass
She wore a utility frock
The only thing that she could say is
Stop your tick-e-ling Jock
I tickled her here
I tickled her there
I tickled her ev'rywhere
I tickled her here
I tickled her there
I tickled her ev'rywhere
.
.

I think I will ignore that study and stick to my longer length skirts.
ReplyDeleteDebenhams have got it wrong - longer skirts are definitely the in-gear for older women. They're much more elegant than mini skirts. Jock can save his tick-e-ling for the youngsters... grins
ReplyDeleteEspecially now the winter's nearly with us Cherie.
ReplyDeleteHi Val, all those lengths mean nothing to me. I would have thought the lengths depended upon the person height?
Actually, I only popped that bit in to pad out the post.
Cheers....Bernard