Friday, 30 October 2009

I'm taking up 'Land Art'.

.
.
No more of this Mucking about for me!

I have just read two articles which are ‘Music to my ears‘.
Mind you, I’ve been going this way for years. Low maintenance and all that.

Garden writer and television presenter Monty Don has called on gardeners to stop their diligent digging and weeding in favour of letting nature take its course.
Monty decided to change tack. From now on, he has announced, his intention is to create "land art", altering the wild landscape as little as possible to create a more natural garden with paths winding through long grass and hedges left to grow bushy rather than being clipped.

“Fighting nature is a losing battle, whether you are growing wheat or wisteria,” he said.
His comments come as scientific research revealed that the average British garden often contains more wildlife than the countryside, which has been stripped of life by intensive farming.


Yes, yes, yes........leave it nice and wild, like this.
.
.
This little fountain is in my 'meditation' patch, right down at the bottom of the garden. I don't really meditate, I just call it that.....it's really my fern garden in the shade of vine covered pergola.

The second report was encouraging biodiversity....
Dr Thompson, who was speaking at the British Science Festival, said that people should actually do less to increase biodiversity.
“Relax, don’t do so much gardening,” he said. “Let it grow. Let shrubs and lawns grow. By increasingly the volume of your garden you will increase the number of creatures living in it.”
.
.
Good , I can sit back and do my bit for horticultural diversity and let nature take its course.

This morning the vine leaves were a gorgeous red and many beginning to drop. I took those two pics. a couple of weeks ago.

Adam and Eve in the Garden dwelt,
They thought vine leaves were jolly.
I wonder how they would have felt,
Had all of those leaves been Holly?
.

7 comments:

  1. Fabulous garden Bernard, when is your open day :) I can see why you like the Lyde garden.Kath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful! And stop spraying, killing all those poor butterflies.Less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago Kath, people tried to get me to enter this "Open garden" thingie, but the trouble was...the garden never had an "at its best" moment. I can't imagine a garden without water.

    Hi Liz, You are right..I have not sprayed anything in my garden for over ten years now.
    Cheers......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely and I like the way the sun is shining through the leaves on the second one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cherie, but I don't always stop to think before I 'shoot'. That shot was taken from the seat where I sit. This was just the view I get from there on any sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's obvious it is a view you enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do enjoy it....but I go there for the shade and the sound of the fountain.

    ReplyDelete