.
After all these 'wordy' posts, I'm going to give my right forefinger a rest and put up a few pictures I took at Milton Keynes Museum.
When Milton Keynes was built as a 'new town', many small villages were swallowed up. I think it was thirteen in all. Very sad.....a lost way of life. The museum was set up to preserve some of this for future generations. There was loads to see....I reckon you need a couple of days to take it all in. And they said the museum is still developing!
.
.
Of course a lot of it is what you would expect to find at a museum, except that this built up around and in an old farmhouse and its buildings. The Wolverton estate was owned by John Radcliffe, the very same man that the famous Oxford hospital is named after. There is a short video here filmed in Radcliffe's front room (shown above).
On the site there is also a 'Telephone museum', interesting to me, but I fear a bit boring to some. .
.
Many of the rooms in the house are constructed and equipped to show how thing used to be....a working kitchen, a laundry and this schoolroom below.
.
.
Behind the farmhouse the barns have been converted into 'streets' of shops, each one fully stocked. There were far too many to show here.
.
.
Just two to give you an idea. Click on the pic. to see the detail.
The Haberdashery.
.
.
What I liked most about this museum, is that you could go into nearly all of the shops and touch the items. All they ask is "handle all items gently and with care" and "do not touch paper or cloth items".
The Ironmongers.
.
.
I used the word "haberdashery" above, but on looking it up it pertains to men's attire.
Now a milliner sells ladies hats ....but how would you describe the shop selling ladies 'bits and pieces'?
.

I want to go there now (I never knew it existed before) I don't share your passion for the phones, but I am curious to know, what is that dead-christmas tree-thingy in the foreground? Kath
ReplyDeleteIt is a short piece of Transatlantic cable they someone has painstakingly peeled apart to reveal all the hundreds of separate wires. Nice to hang your tinsel on at Christmas!
ReplyDeleteGo for it Kath. It was a good day out with the organs there. Wait till they have a special event as it livens everything up. There is a special Christmas thingie . You need to check their web site.
You were right, it does look like a place I would love to visit :-)
ReplyDeleteHello Cherie, I was just reading your bit on the Ri. Very interesting and you were very brave to face going up to London! Having worked there all those years I was glad to see the back of it. Someone once said to me "Treat London like a prison...do your time and the get out and stay out".
ReplyDeleteI am glad you enjoyed the post :-)
ReplyDeleteI hate visiting cities but I love the culture that can be seen in the museums and galleries. So from time to time I have to venture in. But I could never live or work there I would hate it.
Kath beat me to the question with the same descriptive thoughts! Fascinating. My dad was Dept. Head of Development Engineering for Western Electric/Bell Labs/AT&T (as in telephones and communications).
ReplyDeleteOh, and a nice looking pianola in the first photo. Does it work?
Cherie, It seems to be only certain cities I don't like. I never felt unhappy in France of Italy and of course places here, like Bath are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHi Deb, I too worked in telecomms. I was with Plessey and we had quite a bit of contact with AT&T.
The museum had quite a number of Pianola's, also organs and a sweet little harmonium. I will put the up soon.