.

.
I expect there are many, many customs associated with Easter day.
I though of just one this April morning.
A thing I and my brothers used to do some sixty years ago on
Easter Day.
Draw faces on our breakfast boiled eggs
and then hit them on the head!
I haven’t done this sort of thing since I was a boy,
so I was wondering if I could still do it.?
.
.
The glass ‘chicken’ egg-cup is the actual one I used sixty years ago.
It is the sole survivor of the set of four.
The Portmeirion cups are in fact upside down, as the eggs, (size medium) fell down too low in the cups to see the faces properly.
I wonder if any children, anywhere, are doing a similar thing this morning?
I wish you all a very Happy Easter Day.
.

.
I think we may see a bit more sunshine this week.
The cock is crowing,
The stream is flowing,
The small birds twitter,
The lake doeth glitter,
The green fields sleep in the sun.
There’s joy in the mountains;
There’s life in the fountains;
Small clouds are sailing,
Blue sky prevailing;
The rain is over and gone !
Wordsworth
.

Happy Easter to you too KD.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that there are mothers and grandmothers who still do things like draw faces on eggs for their kids and grandkids. I guess you pass along these traditions in families don't you?
We are enjoying the cooler weather here in the northern hemisphere.
Cheers
Helen
Happy Easter to you too :-)
ReplyDeleteMy Mum used to die the hard boiled ones pink and blue. We had for our tea on Easter day and had to peel them ourselves.
Good evening Uncle B..hope you hat a fine Eastern...and you drawed the faces just fine...we only colored the eggs when i was young...later i made some eggs to giveaway from Muranoglass mosaic..or made them from fabric and lots of embellisments like flowers and lace...now i only eat the chocolate ones..
ReplyDeleteAnd i liked your post very much on the Nutters...the music and the dancing look like the Bavarians are still doing now...i like the video's very much...the are unique!!
greetings Francien.
Thank you Helen.
ReplyDeleteI trust you are enjoying it here up north? There are a lot of cold winds and showers about at this time of the year. Not the time for a dip in the sea!
Hi Cherie:
My mother used to use colours as well. I believe you must use 'food colouring' as the shell is porous and the colour goes through to the egg. Felt tip pens are out! From your blog I can see you are enjoying the Easter break.
Good Morning Francien.
Yes, I am always busy over Easter. The gardens here are now 'taking off' and there is so much to do. I believe quite a few people enjoy painting on eggs. I think they have to be empty shells though. I wondered if you had seen that bit about the Nutters. I believe they dance at anytime of the year, but the Spring is the traditional time. I have loads of video clips of traditional dances from all over Europe.....I shall have to look some out.
Cheers....Bernard.
Those faces are very good indeed! You are obviously a very good drawer. Well I know that. The organ you decorated is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteWe used to paint eggs too. The last two Easters, I was going to try blowing eggs and painting them but still haven't got round to it.
Post about the inspirational Prague Easter Market coming up.
You are very quiet. Have you gone away? Hope it's nothing I've said.
ReplyDeleteI know you built the organ and not just decorated it, but I was just referring to the decoration yesterday.
There'll be a bit about an organ in an upcoming post from me!
I'm so happy to know that your inner child is not far from the surface Unc, I love the way you drew the faces :D
ReplyDeleteI bet when you were little, you would eat your egg, invert the empty shell and pretend it was another egg waiting to be eaten. When my Dad was alive, he loved a duck egg, with it's huge dark yellow yolk.
Hi Foody:
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked them. You have to get it right first time. Difficult to change if you make a mistake.
No, not at all. Nothing wrong. I have had a busy Easter, that's all.
I shall be over later to see what you have been up to :)
Hi Kath:
All grown men are little boys at heart!
And you are right, we did invert the empty shell. I was going to ask on the post if people 'cut the top off' with a knife, or did a 'crack on the top' with a spoon? But I forgot :)
As boys we had to hit it on the top, but as I got older I preferred to take a knife to it.
I have never tried a duck egg, but I did buy a goose egg some time back from Thame Market.