Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Grow Your Own

.
.
A well know Dittie by Q. Kumber

I was reading yesterday about how the flight ban was affecting supplies of fresh fruit and vegetables. True, a great deal of tropical fruit, bananas, oranges and grapefruit will have to be imported by sea and air, but surely not so for popular vegetables like potatoes, carrots and beans.
The sad fact is, this country does import potatoes from Egypt, carrots from Holland and beans from Kenya. Just think of the air-miles and additional cost.
When we were isolated and stood alone during World War II, everywhere you looked there were allotments, fields and even parks cultivated and producing fresh and healthy fruit and vegetables. “Dig for Victory” was the call.
I still have some of those leaflets - they were tucked away in my mother’s old cookbook.
.
.
After the war things were very slow to improve and my father had an allotment in addition to the back garden. Plants that needed lots of watering, like lettuce and tomatoes were grown at home, and potatoes, cabbage and carrots were in long rows up at the allotment.
How do I remember all this?
Because Dad got me to help.
Whether I managed to help or just got in the way I know not! - but I do remember climbing into a huge wheelbarrow (which he had build) and being pushed up to the allotment.
I remember this large shed where gardeners could keep their tools, seeds and fertilizers - and I can still remember that wonderful ‘earthy’ smell that it contained.
Dried chicken manure no doubt, and things like “Blood, fish and bone”.
This was usually early on Sundays mornings and dad would dig up potatoes and carrots whilst I would pick the sprouts. There was no ride home for me as the barrow was now loaded up and the contents rushed home for Sunday dinner.

How fresh can you get?
We managed and were all well fed and healthy.

So the country now sits here almost totally dependent on imports.



Buy British - save air-miles.
.
.
So when the politicians knock on your door this week, ask them who is to blame if you cannot feed your family properly this election time, just make it clear to them that without the eu, its rules and regulations, this country could grow what it wanted, it could fish where it liked, it could reduce our dependency on overseas food imports to a minimum, so that natural disasters such as this latest volcano ‘thing’ would have a minimum impact on families here.

My ‘hero’ Boris Johnson (London’s Lord Mayor) came out with a gem the other day.
He said "What crouton of substance did Clegg offer last Thursday, in the opaque minestrone of waffle?”

And what’s this?

“The Health Food Manufacturers’ Association released a report a couple of years ago saying that two thirds of Britons thought chips counted as a five-a-day vegetable.”

Is it not true?
For two years I've thought chips came from Potatoes?
Spoilt my day!
.
.

13 comments:

  1. General Election 2010: Annabel Goldie (the Tory leader in the Scottish Parliament), was heard to say that Nick Clegg's appeal 'will last as long as an insect bite'.

    We didn't have a garden when we were young, though my father was a gardener for a time in his life. He tended other's gardens and would often come home with surplus vegetables. My own problem with growing is produce is that we holiday whenever the notion takes us and we'd have no-one to look after our garden while we were away. Mind you living in Scotland I wouldn't have to worry about drought!

    I wholeheartedly agree with you on imports and the EU Bernard - where's that petition?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may have to wait a while for a petition Mrs S. "Cast Iron" Dave said he would put a Bill before parliament if there were (I think) one million signatures. That should be 'easy peasy' don't you think?
    I've been lucky myself with a kind neighbour who will pop round and water my tomatoes etc. I find leaving the cats more of a problem when holidays come round.
    Bernard xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Boris quote! Liked the Nick Clegg reference from Mrs S too.

    You are so right, Uncle B. When I heard that imported fruit and veg would be scarce I thought "Good. It's about time we stopped relying so heavily on imports anyway. Who needs Kenyan beans, or strawberries in winter?" Then I thought " I want to get cooking apples. Will they be British apples? Do we keep them in cold storage to see us through until next autumn?" Off I trotted to the shop. French Bramleys, no doubt flown in last week. Sorry, but I bought two. Well, my philosophy only applies when it's convenient to me! and when it does apply it's really only to other people!
    I tried growing veg but I wasn't any good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I am constantly haranguing about the new developments here that squish huge houses on a lot that only has 5 feet of clearance between houses, so they can sell more of them. How can those people ever support themselves in an emergency? By raiding their neighbors' cupboards, I guess. We people put up with the dumbest things just so someone else can make a profit. We've had a recent "Buy Local Produce" campaign, but no one leaves an equivalent to your allotments where this can be done. OK, I could go on and on about this, but I'll stop now.

    I was wondering something else. With all that volcanic debris in the atmosphere, if you had a rainstorm now would it be a real gusher?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad always grew our veg, as did my Father in law. I was very taken aback on one occasion when we were at their house. My FIL had come straight from his allotment with an armfull of wonderful fresh veg, My Sister in law declined her share, saying she didnt like veg from his allotment as it was "dirty"!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goede avond Uncle B..thank you for the comment on my blog and for writing the word "jug"..i only knew it as a milkcontainer but thats school English i guess...i have changed it in my post..
    I am lucky to live here in a little village surrounded by farmers...i got my popatoes.. cabbage..sprouts..chicory..fruits...tulips are coming soon too..big field with the most amazing colors etc..fresh every day..you name it and its here.. you can even pick it yourself from the land or trees..weight it and leave the money in a little box ...even a cheesefarm is just 4 kilometers from where i live.....all just a bikeride away and cheaper and tastier than in any supermarket..yes i am very fortuned... i realize writing this..
    But i have a question for you..in the last (feast)picture of the lovely food you have posted there is a plate with little crackers it seems in the rightside corner with something on it i dont know what that is ...never saw those before could you tell me the name please?
    Greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sorry Sir...potatoes ofcourse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I understand this love of " alotments" that people in the UK have. It goes back to the war ! I too think this "free trade " stuff is crazy. In Oz we've just ploughed in acres of beautiful orange orchards because we can import frozen juice cheaper than our lovely fresh stuff but the killer was when they started talking about importing bananas and pineapples to Queensland! You've got to be kidding. One day we'll be totally dependent on imports and then they'll really have us in a dangerous position.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't quite manage to do home veggie growing but I do shop in the local farmers market shop. It has locally grown veg and sometimes the meat which is also locally sourced although a bit more expensive. I also use the butcher in town for meat and sausages, all locally produced. All far more tasty than the supermarket equivalents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Bernard what an interesting post, almost as tasty as those allotment grown veggies!After the war people were healthier than they had been before due to an improved diet!Those Land Girls helped a bit hey?
    I have had the good fortune to be an allotment holder and wouldn't have missed it for anything.My daughter was practically born there and 'attended' from a few days old.Happy, well fed days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Because you mention the EU rules, I can assure you that my friends (the Inuits from Baffin Island) with whom I worked as a nurse, in my youth, don't have a great love for that association. The ban on seal products, which the EU voted, is depriving the Inuits of a steady, regular income. They are skilled hunters by tradition. It's a cultural heritage transmitted from one generation to the other. Seals also provide them with food and clothing. Although the ban allows native people to continue hunting, my friends tell me that the South is not buying skins anymore as nobody is certain that it will find buyers on the market. It's so sad! I wonder why Europe is disturbing and condemning the lifestyle of our Aboriginal people in Canada. Hunting is not a sport for them but a necessity. Gardening is not possible in those areas.

    As for myself, I'm now in a small apartment but I manage to grow herbs in clay pots, in my solarium. It's so satisfactory to pick up fresh herbs from my own plants for salads. I wish we had a system of allotments in Toronto.
    Thank you for your interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Foody:
    I know what you mean about availability. It is nice to be able to make an apple pie at anytime of the year, but I used to enjoy things being ’in season’. I think buying fruit and veg from Europe isn’t that bad. After all, parts of France are closer to me here, than Glasgow or Belfast. Common sense I think - a few hundred miles is all right but not thousands. I need your help - see if you can identify those tarts in the foody picture for Francien. (bottom right). Thanks.

    Jan:
    True Jan, but here if people are given large garden, they just grass them over, put lots of decking down, install a pool, concrete the front for a parking lot…..and so on.
    There has been a trend (sadly) to smaller gardens (yards) as many people are just not interested in growing anything. When someone buys a house with a big garden, they try to sell it off to a builder for another house. In Beaconsfield they are knocking down lovely houses with an acre garden, and building six or even eight smaller ones in it’s place. Terrible - urban cramming.
    We have a high pressure over the country at the moment and no sigh of rain anywhere. I am having to water my garden.

    Kath:
    “Dirty”!?!
    I know what you mean - this is why supermarkets wash all the carrots and potatoes etc. I wonder if people realize that vegetables actually come out of the ground.
    I don’t like buying these wet bagged veggies, they start going soft if not properly dried off. Hope you are going to grow courgettes and tomatoes in that nice cleared out greenhouse of yours? :D

    Goedemorgen lieve Francien: (Uncle Bernard showing off again!)
    Your English is excellent. I feel so ashamed that I can’t manage more than a few word in ANY foreign language.
    We have ’pick your own’ farms here too. Mainly in the summer months though.
    Strawberries are the most popular I believe. There are loads of so called ’Farm Shops’, but the one just up the road from here sells Bananas and Oranges! Not exactly local.
    They look to me like small pastry tart cases, filled with tuna and topped with sliced green olives. That is only a guess. I have asked Foody to have a look for me.
    The picture does enlarge if you click on it.

    Helen:
    Thank you for dropping in from France. I’ve been enjoying all those foodie pictures you have been showing us. Allotments were everywhere in the 1940’s Helen. All along the sides of the railway lines as well. I buy my sausages from the Farmers Market in Thame, not the veg. I’m afraid. They are a bit on the expensive side and heavy to carry home. I buy my veg from the local greengrocer in Bourne End if I can.

    Von:
    “Happy Days and well fed”, how true. It was meat we missed most in those days.
    I remember eating Corned Beef and Spam! Pigs trotters and Tripe. Gosh, you never see these in the shops today. It must have been all those vegetables that kept us healthy. We had no citrus fruit or very little. We had concentrated orange juice and I had never seen an orange or a banana until I was quite old. I remember we were given a orange for Christmas as a treat!

    Claudia:
    It is a very difficult subject don’t you think? I suppose numbers have to be controlled to save fish supplies. I don’t like hunting of any form if it is done for entertainment or pleasure. Hunting for food is a different matter, in moderation.
    Here we keep animals, birds and now fish on farms for food. I can no reason why the Aboriginal people should not ‘farm’ seals for food and clothing.
    Now, herbs - yes. I grow loads of herbs. At one time I had a huge collection in the garden but as I never had use for them all, it is now reduced to the more popular one.
    Actually you have given me an idea for another post.

    Cheers all..... Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cherie:
    With such a long line of comments the page throw missed yours. Sorry. You get a reply all to yourself :)
    Local meat is well prepared. Supermarkets just seem to hack it off in chunks. Never two pieces the same size in a pack either. As I said earlies, you need to check the sources of supply. Farm shops sometimes give the impression that they grow it all outside at the back! Where does it really come from?
    Cheers Bernard

    ReplyDelete