Monday, 26 April 2010

Many Little Beaks to Feed.

.
.
During the nice weather, my old Tom cat likes to eat alfresco. Not that he speaks Italian mind you!
I put his plate of food in sight of the back door so that I can get to it when he has finished and before the flies and ants discover it.
But there is always another beady eye on Wesley’s leftovers. A Blackbird sits on the shed roof waiting for him to finish and wander off.
Last year I did a similar post here. with Hazel sitting on the back door step.

Well the Blackbirds have nested again and no doubt have many 'little beaks to feed'.
.
.
Just a bit whilst Hazel is not looking.

.
.
Woops. - I've been spotted.

Now Hazel herself, prefers the comfort of carpet under her paws when eating so she gets her breakfast in the conservatory.

I was washing up the other day and as it was a warm sunny day I had the back door open. Imagine my surprise when the Blackbird this year hopped over to help himself to the plate of food in the conservatory. He was a bit wary as Hazel was half asleep under one of the chairs. She just watched him out of the corner of her eye.

.
.
This is actually the female bird just eyeing it up.


.
.
The male returned and hopped in 'as bold as brass'.

I managed to get my camera and a few shots, as he kept flying off with a beak full of food and then, after feeding the young, came back for more.
Both the cats virtually ignore him and I guess the Blackbird can sense this.

.
.
Yesterday I went to the kitchen to discover this cheeky bird eating Hazel’s food in the kitchen. Of course he flew off as I entered - right out the kitchen door, across the conservatory and out the back door! He knew the way.
.
I took the last three photos from the kitchen door, so he didn't mind me either.
.

14 comments:

  1. Aw, that's really nice! He knew the way I think because he's done it many times before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Foody. When my back was turned.
    "When the cats away, the blackbirds play":
    as there are no mice around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing seeing Hazel just sitting looking with thoughts going round in her head. Animals 'speaka-da-same-lingo' don't they; it's all in the eyes and body movements. Obviously Hazel is a pushover and those blackbirds know it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic. I really liked this post, but then anything about animals and pet blackbirds gets to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good afternoon Uncle B..what a great pictures!! I have a few (3) Magpies??( i hope thats the name for the bird in Engslih..sounds a bit like a tart... Ekster its called in Dutch)who does the same with my cats food...and they are not affraid to wait on the doormat to see if my cats and Meisje have finished their meals... most of the time no chance on something at Meisjes plate..itsalways empty.i leave the plates for the cat standing there for a while because one of the cats eats in "episodes"but if he waits to long its finished by the birds..i always thought Meisje did it untill i saw the birds "do"it...so Meisje is in the clear!! Lovely Tulips sir!!

    Greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, Uncle B.!
    Once more I seek your musical help! Do you know title, artist, date etc for a song which includes the lines -
    "We're on the road to anywhere,
    With never a heartache and never a care.
    Got no home, got no friends
    Grateful for anything the Good Lord sends."

    Any info much appreciated.
    All good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute :-)

    Just be careful to make sure they can find their way back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvellous photos! Such a happy, singing, meowing post! If, all around the world, human beings could do this, and let people in when they're hungry, nobody would die of starvation. Of course it's not that simple. Although we give here and there, we're not always reaching the people who need it the most. I wish so much there would be a way...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I originally posted what a handsome cat this is and I thought it was your Tom, but I realize it is Hazel. Do you have any pictures of Wesley?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs S:
    Hazel, being 18 now, never bothers chasing anything. A bit like me. Years ago I used to chase the girls! But now I can’t even remember why!!

    Valerie:
    This started as a musical blog but seems to have been taken over by ‘gardens and cats’.

    Francien;
    Good morning. I looked up in my ’Nederlands/Engels Woordenboek’ and yes, Ekster is a Magpie. We get quite a few here - noisey birds and always stealing the eggs from other bird's nests. The garden is full of Tulips at the moment. I get a few less each year as the squirrels dig them up to eat.

    Dr FTSE:
    Thanks Doc. I have looked into that for you. I do not have the music, although, saying that I have loads of unsorted piles which I must get round to looking into. I have posted a reply/link as a comment on your blog.

    Cherie:
    The Blackbird always makes for the door. He must know there is glass in the windows.

    Claudia:
    I’m glad you enjoyed the photos. I love photographing birds and animals. You need a lot of patience. It is much easier with these digital cameras, as you can take loads of pictures at no cost, and then pick out the best.

    Kim:
    There are loads of pictures of cats here. My brother tells me - too many!
    At the bottom of the posting is the label “Cats again”. If you click on that it will show you lots of other picture, including Wesley. (Even as a kitten)

    Cheers all .....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous! What luck that you had your camera to hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. To tell you the truth Kath, I had to rush back to the computer as I had just downloaded a load of pictures from Clivedon.
    I don't really need to worry as both the parent bird 'hop in' every day I leave the door open.
    I'd love to try hand feeding as you can with Robins.

    ReplyDelete