.
I didn’t watch the leaders debate last night.
I didn’t have enough pairs of shoes to throw at the telly!
No, not true, actually - I don’t have a TV.
I went outside instead to look at this volcanic dust cloud.
It’s just a smokescreen they’re throwing up to distract us from the real issues, I thought.
Someone in one of the papers said we could expect some fantastic sunsets and sunrises as the light catches the dust particles. They are supposed to be like little glass beads.
Well the sun sank behind Winter Hill last night, rose again this morning from behind Cliveden, and I saw nothing spectacular. But I will tell you what is spectaclar - the skies overhead have been free of aircraft. Not since 11th Sept (9/11) have all the aircraft been grounded. The silence was amazing.
“Sound of Silence”
.

.
I love this song. It scores equally with “Bridge over Troubled Waters” as my favourite Simon & Garfunkel song. Simon when interviewed, admitted there was no profoundly deep meaning to the lyrics when he wrote them. He said he was possibly expressing teenage angst and frustration as to how they are largely ignored by society.
So nothing changes, except that those that are now ignored, includes virtually everybody.
In the garden this morning, without those pilots going through their ‘landing procedures’ - without passengers ’remaining seated and securing seat belts’ - you could have heard a tadpole fart.
.
.
Hazel joined me to count the tadpoles.
I could hear the trickle of water as one pond overflowed into the next - so soothing.
But did you know that 'water sounds', supposedly so effective at soothing the human ear, only works if you can see the source of the sound. If the source of the sound, like fountain, is out of sight and next to your office, it’s annoying.
If it is audible from your bedroom, like a dripping bathroom tap, it drives you crazy.
A certain Mr Kang has conducted Europe-wide research on water noise. (what a drip).
In England and the rest of northern Europe, nearly 90 per cent of us liked it. But in Italy, that dropped to 20 per cent. Why? Because the Italians have so many fountains in residential areas, they can’t escape it.
However, in some apartments in Berne, men are not allowed to urinate standing up after 10pm — nor women either, for that matter!
Imagine living in an apartment with a wall that thin. I’d have to permanently wear ear plugs.
Actually, talking of earplugs, I do use them when punching music. I also read that sales of earplugs have been rising steadily over the years, and sales of noise-cancelling headphones are booming.
The threshold at which people get annoyed by noise is 65 decibels but in many parts of cities that level is now exceeded.
“A place of silence must be closely held secret or, it will be invaded by noise.”
.
.
The garden at sunrise this morning.
.

Beautiful garden, looking lovely and Hazel's enjoying Spring too!
ReplyDeleteWell that was a surprising collection of facts!
All these flowers! I thought it must be a summer photo. It looks beautiful.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, keep those quiet places secret.
I didn't watch the debate either, not because I haven't got a telly but because I just didn't want to. Not everybody wants to hear all the talky-talky-blah-blah stuff.
No, I didnt watch it either, but Himself was glued to it downstairs. I thought of you this morning and wondered if it was more peaceful over Kipper Towers today.
ReplyDeleteFavourite S & G song? "Kathy's song", of course :)
Gorgeous garden Unc.
I'll digress before I start my comment, Bernard. I see you now under the umbrella - the green one with the monkey!!! Wrong umbrella I was focused on (the red and white one with the man bending down). How I ever became Mrs Successful I'll never know. xx
ReplyDeleteYou have such an idyllic garden and it must've been perfect without aircraft flying above. Such a lot of wee interesting snippets in your posting. I can't 'do' earplugs; no matter the size or texture, they just don't fit well. There's nothing like some thin-walled Spanish hotels to hear those little sounds you speak that take place in Berne - ugh! xx
I've enjoyed your garden pictures here in my office space this morning, like sitting out in the sunshine with my cup of tea. I thought about you, too, when I heard the air traffic had stopped. I've found that I don't mind noise, I can sleep through anything except a raccoon in the henhouse, but I just don't like being in a space with too many people. Like more than maybe 3.
ReplyDeleteI've loved Simon and Garfunkel since I first saw them 40 or so years ago in a concert. It was just the two of them, with Paul Simon's acoustic guitar, no electronic doodahs. They were wonderful. Art Garfunkel sang "For Emily" in such a pure, sweet voice, we were all blown away. Actually the song that came to mind when I saw your pictures this morning is "Feelin' Groovy." (..."I came to watch your flowers growin...'")
Enjoy the peace and quiet as long as it lasts.
My car was covered in volcanic ash this morning. Look out for the sunset tonight though. You may spot the image of the man who would be prime minster rising above the horizon. Anything could happen in this village, I tell you.
ReplyDeleteYou have a lovely garden, always enjoy the photos.
ReplyDeleteGood morning.
ReplyDeleteIt really is a nice start to the day to find so many interesting comments.
Thank you all.
Von:
I have to admit that my garden only looks good in the spring. Everything is new and fresh and of course when it is warm and sunny the cats enjoy it all the more.
Hi Foody:
I did go out that morning and take quite a few photos. You must know every inch of my garden by now, as I was popping up ‘Spring’ photos 12 months ago. My quiet places are only quite now as there are no aircraft. Actually the ‘planes are not that bad.
It was quiet Kath,
…..and still is this morning. It is not on the flight-path here. What happens is they ‘stack’ over Watford and then gradually make their way south-west towards Reading before then lining up on Heathrow. They never take-off this way so the noise is not really that noticeable.
‘Kathy’s Song’ - should have guessed. :D
Hi Mrs. S.
Yes, the green one. I think that was a lady playing the organ under the red stripy one!
I was not actually wearing sun-glasses - these ‘distance’ specs just turn dark automatically in sunlight. It looks a bit sinister doesn’t it? :)
Have you tried ‘rolling’ the ear-plugs between thumb & finger to make them smaller?
They then expand and fit OK.
My garden features on loads of old blog posts. If I’m stuck I just go out in the garden and photograph my cats! (much to the annoyance of my brother - who doesn’t like cats) :(
Good morning Jan:
I was actually sitting out in my garden that morning with a cup of coffee, thinking “How many pictures shall I pop up?”. The sun makes all the difference to the colours. The primroses are all out now all around the garden. Tomato plants are about 3” high - still too early for the greenhouse. (frost here last night).
I was amazed how you managed to sleep when you had all those late night parties going on!
I’d have been up all night (grumbling). :(
“Feelin’ Groovy” - an excellent choice.
Hi Maddie:
Dust? I am surprised. I thought it had only landed in the Shetlands. It is abrasive so you need to be careful getting it off. I have not noticed any ’fantastic’ sunsets here. This dust must be worse in certain areas. Thank you for dropping in. :)
Hi Annette:
You and Foody will remember all my posts from last year. How time flies? Do you remember, you were telling me about your bad back from too much weeding. Don’t overdo it this year.
Cheers all....make the most of the sunshine.
Bernard
I love your garden photos, I can just imagine sitting there and enjoying the view :-)
ReplyDeleteSadly I haven't seen one of those spectacular sunsets either. Do you think it is all a bit of a con?
CherryPie (acting as unauthorised Uncles spokesperson) I often get spectacular wonderful red sunsets here. Possibly because I am so near to the Atlantic? But the dawn sky is pink and warm to welcoming in the day, and the evening the sun says farewell with all its hues of pink and red and mauve and an assortment of enhanced colours. Its a sort of triumphal entry and exit. We don’t need ash in Devon to give us the sights/coloured sunsets that we normally enjoy anyhow.
ReplyDeleteI don’t think anyone living inland will get the full benefit because a lot to do with the colours is possibly reflections from the sea or whatever. Its spectacular and nothing to do with Iceland or Asda or Sainsburys at all.
Cherie:
ReplyDeleteI guess it is localised. The Shetlands had a lot I know. I also had a comment from Maddie in Dorset about some on her car.
I have four seats in the garden. They face north, south, east and west, so I can sit and face anyway I choose. That seat there faces east and gets the morning sun. :)
Hi DD,
With lovely comments like that, you can be an authorised official spokesdumpling! :)
Love your sense of humor and your garden. We have a lovely brick patio that is beautifully landscaped; but it's no English garden. For "sounds of silence" we go to our mountain retreat in Lake Arrowhead (2 hours from LA). We can sit on our deck and view the trees, lake and mountains that ring the lake....and all we hear are birds. (Except in the summer when we hear the motor boats). It's a trade-off for the view.
ReplyDeleteHi Myrna,
ReplyDeleteSince I have been blogging I have seen many fantastic gardens from all over the world.
I am a teeny weeny bit biased, but a sunny spring morning in an English garden takes a lot of beating. After saying that though, I was very attracted to that picture of the lake you posted some days ago. That looked really peaceful.