Wednesday, 14 April 2010

I'm in Good Shape Today!

.
I was up early this morning at five - like you would.
Went into the kitchen - like you could.
Bent down to feed the cats - like you should.

And I ended up looking at the lino or ‘cushion floor vinyl’ as it is now known.
It was the pattern that I found interesting.

Not squares or hexagons but, many repetitions of a complicated single shape which interlocked and covered the whole floor. This is a very common feature on Italian kitchen floors (so I’m told).
In mathematics these shapes are called tessellations. They were the brainchild of a Dr Lation, and named after his third wife, Tessa.
.

First off, we have the three regular tessellations, squares, equilateral triangles and the favourite of all the quilting ladies, hexagons. (or hexies as Kath calls them).

.


The versions comprising squares are found everywhere - as in a chessboard. The hexagons can be see in honeycombs and wire netting. The triangles are not so common, but I believe orchards are, or were, planted in this way to improve pollination. One identical shape to fill the whole space (or quilt).




If we introduce two shapes, say a square and a triangle, these are known as semi-regular tessellations and of course there are many designs to be had.
.


Favourites with vinyl floor manufactures in this country, are the ‘hexagons & triangles’ and the ‘octagons & squares’.
Now if we visit Italy, tile manufacturers have a field day there with very intricate interlocking shapes.
.













But the ultimate for me is the incredible work done by the Dutch artist M.C. Escher.
.
.
Here is a real challenge to all those lady quilters.
.
.
Shake off your ’Hexies’ and cut out a few of these fantastic shapes to make a
“Quilt to beat all Quilts“.
.
.
I do apologise for the layout. I'm no expert at getting these 'medium' and 'small' pictures to appear in the right place. Think I'll have to stick to all 'large' size in future.
(Unless someone has a few hints or tips).
.

13 comments:

  1. Uncle, if you have word on your xp I'll send written instructions about resizing photos - with example photos for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi DD.
    I have Microsoft Works Ver 9.0. as a WP.
    However I never put pictures in the text in a WP.
    I type the text in the blog straight into the 'compose' box, and then 'upload image'. Usually I use 'large' because it uploads it into the centre and there is no problem with wrap-around text.
    If went to that bit alongside the blue tile..
    .." Favourites with vinyl floor" and tried to delete those spaces.... nine times out of ten I would delete the image! I am not alone. Grumpy Ken and Foody seem to have the same difficulty.Thanks, I'll have a look at anything you suggest (e-mail).
    ((hugs)) Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Unc, lots of lovely patterns there, which are known and loved by Quilters. Not sure how you would join the doves together tho...curved shapes tend to be tricky to join.
    The blue and yellow one is called Snowball, (and likely has other names). I have been planning a quilt in this design for my Brother, with various plaids in the centre and the smaller shapes will be all one colour. i must get all the others finished first! :D
    Re photos, I resize mine using Paint shop pro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Uncle, I wanted to know because I'll create a word doc of instructions and it would have been pointless if you could not have opened and read a word doc. Give me a day and I'll write out a how to do complete with pictures so you can follow it with examples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks DD, I can usually open most WP formats.
    I am using xxxx.WPS at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post. You are out of your own subject area but still managed a very entertaining, attractive, erudite and informative post. Those birds and fish are great. So which do you have on your kitchen floor?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good afternoon Uncle B. You sure are in good shape today!!...i almost made a quilt with all the patterns you are showing here and like Kath i do love the hexies too...i have the designerpaper from Esher for scrapbooking/cards...its difficult to work with...kind of busy...and those tesselations are more up Jinny Beyer the quiltartist her "alley" she made a lot of tesselation-quilts and her book about it show some incredible quilts..to difficult for me..but they look great!!
    I resize and "work"at my pictures with Picasa for what its worth...
    greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great designs, I once had the pleasure of similar patterns and miss it in my present home.
    When uploading pictures, just select the correct allignment... left, centre or right. It then doesn't matter about the size of picture. I usually centralise mine, so all sizes are catered for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That brings back memories of school. tessellations was one of my favourite topics in maths :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My parents had several M.C. Escher prints hanging about the house while I was growing up. I spent a lot of time studying those impossible images as a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning Foody:
    Thanks for your appreciation. :) I am sorry I have been omitting musical postings, but there has not been much musical news or activity of late. I was going to take a photo of my kitchen floor but it is not the tidiest of places! :(

    Goedemorgen lieve Francien.
    (Hope I got that right?)
    I’m glad you liked this post. As Foody said it is not ‘my subject’ but I love art and also mathematics. I was good at both art and maths at school, so I took to the works of Escher. I have several of his books of artwork.

    Hi Valerie;
    I think one of the problems is that the space alongside the picture is not wide enough for some of those ’long’ words like ’tessellations’. If it won’t fit blogger just moves all the text down until it does. Hence the large gaps. I will try smaller pics.

    Cherie:
    That sounds like me. :D
    I enjoyed geometry best of all. It was drawing shapes I liked.

    Hi Von:
    Now which geese did you see first?
    The dark ones going left or
    the light ones going right?

    Morning Kim:
    They were popular as you say. My favourites were - the water that kept on running uphill and - the men walking up and around the endless stairs.

    Cheers all..... Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kath:
    You get a bit here all to yourself as your comment popped in between the one from DD and my response. I wouldn't dream of missing you out :D
    I had your quilting in mind when I did this. I expect there are loads of books on quilting and patterns but I obviously know nothing about them. I just wondered if anyone had tried using those more difficult ideas from Escher and his designs?
    Take care....Bernard

    ReplyDelete