.
.
Oh, to be in England
Now that April’s there,
And whoever wakes in England
Sees, some morning , unaware,
That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
Round the elm tree bole are in tiny leaf,
While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
In England - now!
.
.
I was reading that Spring had come early this year.
I believe Spring will come when nature is ready.
Ok, you can look at the calendar and see a little box that says “The First day of Spring”.
A fixed point in time.
On another, we see, clocks go forward one hour, "Start of British Summer Time."
Another fixed point in time. Not British Springtime, Summertime!
Study the heavens and we see the Earth going round the Sun, and when the length of the day equals the length of the night, we have the two Equinoxes.
The Vernal in the Spring on March 20th and the Autumnal on the 23rd September in the autumn.
Yet again, fixed points in time.
But if you ask a farmer or an old gardener, they will tell you there can be no fixed date for the arrival of Spring. In early days there would be Shepherd's calendar or a Farmer's calendar and spring would start when the temperature was right for germination.
Farmers would notice the lengthening days and the return of migrating birds.
They would sow their crops at the time that was right. It had to be, it was a matter of life or death.
I came across this old poster in one of my books.
"She's no Spring Chicken"
I wonder where this term came from?
.
.
I was fascinated by the fact it was standing on a small set of bellows, waiting for a puff of air to set it moving. An idea for my organ.
Oh yes, and I found this:-
Summer - hoppy, droppy, poppy.
Autumn - wheezy, sneezy, freezy.
Winter - slippy, drippy, nippy.
Spring - showery, flowery, bowery.
.
.

I like the springy-legged chicken.
ReplyDeleteThey only have summer and winter on calendars; nothing in between.
Spring early this year?????!!! Where have they been, I'd like to know?
I take it that lovely summery garden is yours?
I know somebody who turns her central heating off on the same day every year - 12th May.. It's much too early so you have to go there in three jumpers, thermal leggings and sit on your hands.
I just found this..."Back in the days before the industrialization of animal husbandry, animals customarily gave birth or hatched in the season or seasons appropriate to that species. Spring chickens were "young of the year," hatched that spring, and sent to market as roasting chickens at the age of about ten to fourteen weeks. Now, of course, we have chicks hatching throughout the year. In the 18th c. Americans began to use the phrase "no spring chicken" as a way of saying no longer young."
ReplyDeleteNow, what I want to know, is who is "Springy Jack", referred to in a book I just read, set oop North.
Ah spring I am so looking forward to it taking a hold. Now I heard on the radio that it was two week late this year due to the weather being colder than in recent years.
ReplyDeleteLove the poem. Love England in Springtime
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
What a strange concept, pining a season to a calendar, never could get my head round it.
ReplyDeleteFoody:
ReplyDeleteI knew you would. You could have a go at making one! :)
It was in the Telegraph I think I read that. My point is ..that how do they know? What is their reference point?
Yes, that is my garden. Looking a bit wild as always. :(
Many years ago where I worked they turned the central heating off on the first of May!
Hi Kath;
I guessed it was something to do with hatching out in the spring, but they must have been breeding chickens all the year round to keep up a supply of meat. After all hens lay eggs all the year round, so I’m told.
Springy Jack sounds like the name of a dog. A lively Jack Russell perhaps. :D
Cherie:
Some sources say early and some say late. There you are .. The first day of Spring is a “movable feast” . It was probably that snow that has put things back a bit.
Helen:
Yes, England in Spring always looks so green and fresh. Which reminds me, I must get out and cut that lawn.
Hi Von:
People do though. Because we have four seasons, folks always try to divide the year into four, three month periods. Nature is not like that. We could get a ’long’ Winter or a ’long’ summer and hardly any Spring.
I think Springy Jack was a kind of bogeyman figure. We never got to meet him in the book, but the little boy in the story was threatened that he'd come if he didn't behave himself.
ReplyDeleteThe Native Americans in Northern California had different names for the seasons. I know there was First Grass, which happened after the first rains in the fall. The grass sprouts but just sits there until Second Grass, when the days warm up in late winter. Our seasons here are not divided into 4 equal ones. Our spring can sometimes be a month from when the daffodils break the ground and the grasses head out. Once the grasses head, they start to dry quickly. We have a dry season (summer) for 6 to 7 months. In a drought year, it's hard to tell summer from fall because First Grass might not happen until December. Winter is 2 months. I don't mind this (not that I can change it, anyway) but if I was in charge spring would last for 5 months. I love the green lushness.
ReplyDeleteBarnyard chickens sometimes lay eggs most of the year, but aren't inspired to sit on them year 'round.
I remember being on holiday in Italy (Umbria). It was mid July, a Saturday evening, and it was freezing (granted, we were in a mountain village). The locals said that by Monday (when the moon changed) the weather would change for the better too - lo and behold it did. We don't pay enough attention to nature - it's a business world we live and we're not taking time to smell the roses. Loved your story, your poem, your wee bit about summer, autumn, winter and spring - fun stuff, Bernard. xx
ReplyDeleteKath:
ReplyDeleteI think you’re right. Different parts of the country had different names for nasty men who ‘spring’ out on naughty children.
Hi Jan:
My point exactly. You can't have seasons fixed by dates. They differ, not only all around the world, but even within a small country like England. I like your idea of a two month Winter. :) Your wood supply will keep you warm for more than seven years. More like twenty seven! And yes, Spring is the clean, fresh season without a doubt. For me Summers are too hot and dry - I watch my garden struggle. I like the cool days of Autumn as well - the season of ’mellow fruitfulness’.
Mrs S.
I’ve noticed that in Italy as well. The cold air used to come down off the mountains after dark and we all needed those extra ‘wooly pullies’ even in July.
I’m glad you enjoy my ramblings. Thanks.