Thursday, 17 June 2010

"I'm Calling You, oo-oo, oo-oo-oo"

.
I’ve been invited to a wedding.
No, that’s not strictly true.
I’ve been invited to two weddings, one in July and one in August.
OMG I have nothing to wear!

Since I’ve retired I have thrown out all ‘office’ clothes and ‘special do’ clothes and have spent the last seven years in ‘casual’ comfortable bliss.
Guess I’ll manage to come up with something. I saw some nice shirts in Thame market on Tuesday - £4 each or 3 for ten quid.
The July wedding is that of my niece, Rosemary - or I should say Dr Rosemary as she is now a qualified doctor.

I dug around in my heaps of music for “Oh Rosemary, (I love you)”,
only to find out that it was spelt “Rose Marie”!

.
.
Oh, well, you can’t win them all!

Anyway, with the invitation, I was sent a John Lewis wedding list number, whatever that is?
So I set off up to a John Lewis store just off the M40 at Handy Cross, to investigate.
Well they had a fancy ’touch-screen’ machine into which I had to key the magic number, and, hey presto, out popped a print-out of all the goodies that Rose would welcome as a wedding present.
Well, this suited me down to the ground - look down the list, pick one, pay the nice lady for one, all over. How painless. No worry, no wrapping, no postage, no chance of her receiving fourteen toasters! Excellent.

.
.
The romantic Musical, “Rose Marie” was a dramatic hit in 1924 with a staggering 557 performances on Broadway. Later, in 1925, it moved to London’s Theatre Royal in Drury Lane where it ran for two years.
The above picture is a poster for the production in France, where it had its largest success with a record breaking 1250 nights.

.
.
The two most memorable songs from the show were of course “Oh Rose Marie I love you, I‘m always dreaming of you” and the “Indian Love Call”. The later being the piece with the “I’m Calling You, oo-oo… oo-oo-oo” refrain. I have the old 1924 sheet music to both of those. I have found that old music that survives all these years, always is of the popular tunes of the day. An ‘Edwardian Top of the Pops’.
Other pieces from the show included “Door of my Dreams”, “Pretty Things” and “Totem Tom-Tom”.
.

11 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy the weddings, Uncle. You can often finish up having loads more fun at these 'do's' than you thought you were going to.
    I'm sure Rosemary will appreciate the song, however her name is spelt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really looking forward to seeing you, we need to make sure that some group family photos are taken and then when people are blogging or whatever they will be doing by then, the photos can be a reminder of another generation!
    lol amy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks FoodY, Even if I wasn't having fun, I would try not to let it show. The weddings are not the problem. I don't like all this driving around the country in all this heat.
    Rose does pop in here on occasions.
    And so does.......

    Amy. xx
    No. Not group photos, pleeeeeeeease! Anything but group photos! - unless I am behind the camera taking the photo. Have just written to Adrian to say I'll be up - and of course again on the following Saturday for the school 'do'.
    See you soon. Unc B. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Oh Rose Marie I love you, I‘m always dreaming of you” I always liked that song, it was one of my dads favourites and although he was completely tone-deaf, he sang it with great enthusiasm.
    I hope you will enjoy the wedding and meeting up with all your family and REAL neices. We want to see a photo of you all scrubbed up :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These tunes, Kath were the 'greats' of their time. Just think of the thousands of people who know these songs today. Well, maybe not teenagers but certainly the 'baby boomers, had them sung to them, as you say, by Dads and Mums.
    "Scrubbed up"?... and I expect you to want me to wash behind my ears as well? :D
    Sorry to disappoint, but this blog is a "Wedding Photo Free Zone". :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I always thought this musical was Canadian. I saw it (in Montreal) at 12 years old with my much older sister, who had the kindness to bring the youngest with her, on special "artsy" dates. On the stage, a Royal Mounted Police (with a horse) sang Rose Marie. And the Indians looked very authentic.

    Happy Wedding Family Day. As I'm getting older, the family meet more often at funerals than at weddings. I wish I would have an occasion to wear the one fancy long dress I kept hoping to wear it at least once more. Maybe now that the grandchildren are growing so fast....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Claudia,
    The musical is set in Canada, but was produced by Arthur Hammerstein. The book and lyrics were by Otto Harbach & Oscar Hammerstein 2nd. I believe the first performance was at the Imperial Theatre, New York on the 2nd September 1924. Of course the sheet music I have is from the Drury Lane production in London in 1925. It's still in good condition even after 85 years!
    Thanks for dropping in with your recollections and kind thoughts.
    Regards......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well here I am again KD. Yesterday I posted a comment but it has disappeared into thin air so I will try again.
    Do you remember the film? I don't remember its name but it starred Nelson Eddie and Jeanette MacDonald. I remember watching this old black and white gem on TV way back in the 70s.
    Cheers
    Helen from Tony's computer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen,
    Thanks for trying a second time. :)
    I expect I did see it on TV then. It was such a long time ago. I had a small B&W telly that I bought in 1972 until only five years ago when I gave it to my brother to use in his boat/caravan. It was 12v battery run.
    Regards.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  10. That wedding list sounds ideal. Simple to use and the couple get just what they want and need.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was new to me Cherie, but then I don't frequent that many wedding parties. :)
    It does make a lot of sense though.
    Cheers....Bernard

    ReplyDelete