Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Just touch the Harp gently, Louise.

.
I looked up at the calendar this morning
and it was still showing May!
What happened to April?
Where has May gone?
.
.
It wasn't the above from 1895 thought.

In March we long for April;
In May we long for June:
Don’t be in such a hurry,
It will all be gone too soon.

A couple of weeks ago I posted up pictures of Barrel Piano Musical Boxes that I had made.
Now, as I seem to be a couple of months behind myself, I am going to cheat and re-post the bit I did about the harps in April 2009.

Touch the Harp Gently

Just touch the Harp gently, my pretty Louise,
And sing me the songs that I love;
They’ll recall the bright days when we play’d in the wood,
And watch’d the birds flitting above.
There was one that you sang, my pretty Louise,
The words, I remember them well,
I lov’d it, and when you had finished each verse,
I kiss’d you and said: ‘Never tell’;
Just touch the Harp gently, my pretty Louise,
Just touch the Harp gently, Louise.

.
.
Earlier on the blog I wrote a bit about how I had made small Musical Boxes for my great nephews/nieces. These ended up as small Barrel Pianos, but the original plan was to make them in the shape of a harp. Thirty odd years ago I had built a folk-harp and the small ones were exact scale models of their larger 'sister'. In the above picture you can see the full-size harp in the background.
Each model took about four weeks to make, so making eight would have taken eight months !
I made two, and called it a day. They are made in mahogany with spruce on the front.

.
.
The strings were made of nylon 'fishing-line' and the little tuning pegs were tapered 'clock pins'.
Each plays a different tune and are started by the small lever on the side.
They are about 7" tall as you can see shown against a £2 coin.

.

"Just touch the Harp gently, Louise."

Written by Charles Blamphin (1830-1895) a well-known English harpist
who also composed ballads.

7 comments:

  1. They look so perfect! What a talented Uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golly, Unc, you must have extremely good eyesight and very nimble fingers!
    There are some amazingly delicate, tiny musical instruments in Queen Mary's dolls house in Windsor castle.
    I just found a copy of sheet music for "As time goes by" published in the 70's. I would imagine you already have a copy, or I will send it to you. I have no idea where it came from and is puzzling me. Maybe my Husband was practising in secret to serenade me on his Ukulele :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all, glad you liked them. I am sorry to revert to dragging up old posts, but as it was well over a year ago I guessed many of you wouldn't have found it deep in the archives.

    Cheers......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work you clever man. I'm glad you dragged it up as I don't get time to search archives these days
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how lucky those young people are to have such a generous and talented uncle. Those are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen and Myrna,
    I never know whether to re-publish old bits or not. That was from April 2009 and I didn't have as many readers then. A lot of interesting bits can get buried away and never read.
    Thank you for your appreciative comments.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete