.
I have just remembered that I have 'comment moderation' turned on, for comments on posts over seven days old. (As poor Cherry Pie found out). I have been doing this as it is the only way of finding comments on older posts ( ie a couple of weeks old).
I thought Blogger might have given people the message that "it would be visible after the owners approval"?
Well, I have had a busy week. I may have given my typing finger a rest, but I have certainly been using all the other muscles and given my joints a good working.
The fence on the right hand side of the back garden was in need of repair after the strong winter winds. The problem was to get to it. There was an old Forsythia in the way. It just had to be cut back.
This year I treated myself to one of those 'Garden Mincers'.
2.2 horse power!
.
.
I could have done with one of these years ago but I thought they were noisy, like the ones that tree surgeons use. But earlier this spring, over near Henley, I saw a chap take down an old shrub and feed it through this machine.
It was quiet.
It just gobbled up all this woody old shrub
and reduced it to chippings - quietly!
Must get one of those I thought - so I did.
.
.
You can see how bad it was by the height and density of the 'hedge' on the left. It was the same height all the way down to the greenhouse!
I cut it back, fed it into my 'beast' and reduced an old overgrown Forsythia to three sacks of chippings.
That was on Monday - and do you know, that bush was sprouting again by Friday!
Further down the same side is an equally tall and dense 'Mock Orange' which will need to be 'topped'. As it is now in flower I shall leave it for another couple of weeks so that I can enjoy the blossom.
.
.
A Gardener's Work is never done.
.

Well the weather looks good for all that sort of thing anyway. Hope you didn't knock yourself out and had one of those not-cold beers we were talking about when you were finished.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Nice to see you back on the blogsphere again because I've missed you.
ReplyDeleteLove the pic of your new toy. What a big one you've got!
I am glad all is well :-) You have been very busy and the weather looks to have been much nicer with you that it was in York or here.
ReplyDeleteGood afternoon Uncle B., there you are back already...missed your lovely story`s!!...but your back with a bang!! pictures of your lovely garden...looks like you hat a bit of a toy there with you to help you.. makes it more fun that way than cut the braches in to little ones to fit in the bin....are you going to use the chippings?..we have placed like a little trapeze in the corner of the garden here and the hedgehogs took over...don't know if they only play with it or exually live in it..ok...you can stay as a gardener...you have done a good job... sofar...lol
ReplyDeletegreetings Francien.
I had a mock orange (Philadelphus) too Bernard and loved the scent in the springtime. It died, unexpectedly. It's nice to see yours blooming so well. Shame about your Forsythia, but taking over is nature of the beast.
ReplyDeleteBernard - re 7 days or older postings, why don't you tick the box (or whatever one does) to have emails sent to you when someone has commented. It doesn't matter how old the posting is, you'll be advised when someone has had something to say.
Nice to see you back and to know that your time was used fruitfully - stick out your chest with pride!
Nice to see you back, I missed you. I'm having trouble posting, maybe you won't get this. I've sent a reply to Foodie twice and it didn't go through. I'm working on it.
ReplyDeleteMissed you lovely Uncle Bernard, hope Hazel is all better now?
ReplyDeleteThank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,
ReplyDeletebedankt, thanks, thanks, thanks!
What else can I say? :)
I can't say I'm exactly back on top of things yet. I just sometimes feel I need to 'stand back' and take stock. Things pile up and as many of you have said "You do need to have a break occasionally".
I'm due to take the organ out to a "do" in July and I'm still trying to finish the artwork on the front. I'll do a post when the paint is dry! :)
It's all go here at the moment. Hazel wasn't well last week but is much better now.
Once again, thanks for popping in, and thanks to all, for your interesting and kind comments.
Cheers.....Bernard
Welcome back Bernard, like me it seems you enjoy a bit of shrubbery vandalism.
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to see you back, Uncle. You do always seem to be busy. That corner looks a bit devastated but as you say teh forsythia is sprouting again so it'll soon look all lush again.
ReplyDeleteI love mock orange too. Maybe you can give me some advice. I have three varieties. One os "virginal" which I think your is. Two of my three (ie the virginal and one other but I've forgotten its name) have buds on them just now, but only a very few and the very tips of the highest branches. On the third one - "belle etoile" - the branches haven't even got twigs or leaves, they are just long dry straggly branches from ground level and they look dead but for the leaves at the top. Is this because I haven't been cutting them back? You see I thought that things that flowered before May were meant to be cut back, but things that flower after May were not. Well this flowers after May so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
If I should cut, do I cut immediately afetr flowering or in the autumn?
Ooh I could do with one of those shredders, might see how much they are.
ReplyDeleteHurray!! good to have you back, hope you've had a good break, a change is a good as a rest so hopefully the gardening has done the trick! see you soon x x Amy
ReplyDelete