.

.
You put your left leg in
Your left leg out
In, out, in, out,
you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey Cokey and you turn around
That's what it's all about...
Wikipedia tells us:-
“The Hokey Cokey, Okey Cokey, Hokey Pokey, Hokey Tokey, or Cokey Cokey is a participation dance with a distinctive accompanying tune and lyric structure. It is well known in English-speaking countries. It is of unclear origin, with two main traditions having evolved in different parts of the world.”
The Hokey Cokey, as I have always called it, peaked in popularity as a music hall song and novelty dance in the mid-1940s in Britain and Ireland.
According to one account, in 1940, during the Blitz in London, a Canadian officer suggested to Al Tabor, a British bandleader of the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s that he write a party song with actions similar to "Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree".
.

.
You had to wave your arms around as per the instructions on the back.
The inspiration for the song's title, "The Hokey Cokey", that resulted, came from an ice cream vendor whom Al had heard as a boy, calling out "Hokey pokey penny a lump. Have a lick make you jump". He changed the name to "The Hokey Cokey" at the suggestion of the officer who said that 'hokey cokey', in Canada, meant 'crazy' and would sound better.
There is a claim of authorship by the British/Irish songwriter Jimmy Kennedy, responsible for the lyrics to popular songs such as the wartime “We're Going to Hang out the Washing on the Siegfried Line”
.
.
and the children's song “Teddy Bears' Picnic.”
.

.
Music by John Bratton & Lyrics by Jimmy Kennedy.
I don't have the sheet music for the Hokey Cokey (only in a book).
Sheet music copyrighted in 1942 and published by Campbell Connelly & Co Ltd, agents for Kennedy Music Co Ltd, styles the song as "the Cokey Cokey".
.

We call it the Hokey Pokey down here in Oz and in New Zealand they have named a delicious flavour of ice cream after the song. It has little pieces of honeycomb all through it.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
You just can't beat the Okey Cokey at parties! How interesting, that the name was inspired by an icecream seller.
ReplyDeleteLike Kath we always referred to it as the Okey Cokey too.
ReplyDeleteI had never considered the possible origins of it before.
"Hokey Pokey" sounds very similar to a bit of "Hanky Panky" don't you think? :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you found this interesting.
Cheers all......Bernard
I remember the Hokey Cokey well from children's parties.
ReplyDeleteI never quite understood why you had better go to the woods in disguise because it was the teddy bears' picnic. I suppose it meant that unless you looked like a bear you wouldn't get any grub.
I grew up with the Hokey Pokey. It was brought out at every dance party. Then, when Disco arrived on the scene, and everyone danced The Hustle (which I never did master), the Hokey Pokey faded away, and is mostly done by children. I am simply amazed at your collection of sheet music.
ReplyDeleteA good question FoodY.
ReplyDeleteWhen we were children we never gave that "disguise" bit a second thought. I suppose unless you looked like a bear - YOU might get eaten as part of the picnic. :(
Cheers......Bernard
Good evening Myrna,
ReplyDeleteI got my replies out of sequence here. :(
Sorry.
You are in step with Helen then, as she used to call it "Hokey Pokey". At all the dances I ever went to, it was played very late on in the evening when everyone had had a few "jars".
It was a complete shambles with dozens of drunk people trying to keep up with the music!
Sheet music? I am up to my neck in sheet music. :)
Mainly collected from flea-markets & boot-sales.
Cheers....Bernard