.
If I remember rightly there used to be a competition between five Counties.
I can’t be quite sure, but I expect it was a cricket championship and I have no idea which were the five counties.
On Saturday, however, I managed to visit five counties; only a fleeting visit for three.
I started off in Bucks, went up through Oxfordshire into Warwickshire, across into Worcestershire and finally sneaked into Shropshire by a knats whisker!
I was off to the wedding of one of my nieces, Rosemary, who was ‘tying the knot’ with Adam. The Wedding itself was in the church in Blakedown, Worcestershire and the reception was held in the grounds of Arley Arboretum, Shropshire.
Note: The website says Worcestershire!
I have no doubt that they know where they are!
But......I passed a great big sign saying
'Welcome to Shropshire'......I also knew where I was!
.
.
(click on any photo for a larger view)
This Arboretum at Arley is one of the oldest Arboretums in Great Britain. Tucked away in the beautiful countryside not far from Bewdley, it boasts more than 300 species of trees in formal and informal plantings and gardens.
.
.
The collection includes many rare and spectacular domestic and exotic trees. Nestling in the Severn Valley and overlooking the river, it has been growing and maturing in this idyllic setting for two centuries. It is also situated within ‘whistling’ distance of the Severn Valley Railway - a beautifully preserved and fully working steam railway.
.
.
My Organetto di Barbebia in the Italian garden.
The reception was in a marquee and I had been asked to play some suitable ‘Arboretum Music’ in the garden whilst the guests partook of Pimms and canapés. (whatever they are? - I never found out as I was only trusted with orange juice!)
I was all ready to play ‘Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree’ when I was asked for a bit of Handel, the Bride's favourite. So I started with the 'Arrival of the Queen of Sheba'.
.
.
A Grinders eye view.
The first time I took the organ on a hundred mile trip, the vibration of the car caused one or two parts to work lose - nothing fell off, and they only needed tightening up. It is always a bit of a worry, but this time everything stayed in its place and even in all this heat, it stayed in tune.
Many thanks to Adrian & Jan for laying on a wonderful reception and of course my very best wishes to Rosie & Adam. Cheers!
Finally an apology to CherryPie who was hoping for some 'stunning' photos of the Arboretum.
I'm afraid that, I never got round to it. What with playing the organ, getting it back in the car and then the reception itself, I didn't find time for a stroll around the grounds. Sorry.
.

They say "happy is the bride the sun shines on" so your niece should do well with the lovely weather in your photos.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Shropshire is a delightful county, I'm pleased you had such a pleasant time there. Years ago, we stayed near Ludlow in an old pub. It was so hot under the thatched eves that we left the window open all night. At 5am we were woken by a squadron of very vocal ducks, who waddled up to the kitchen door for their regular breakfast!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes Rosie and Adam, have a wonderful life together.
The music in the gardens made the moment! It was also very lovely to see you too, looking forward to next time x x x xAmy
ReplyDeleteYou are such a tease :-O Maybe you are expecting me to visit and take the photos to share with everyone ;-)
ReplyDeleteJoking apart, it sounds like you had a great day and so did the happy couple :-)
Now talking of the Severn Valley Railway... One of my Blog friends has posted some great pictures of the recent 40's event that took place there.
What a fantastic venue! I' m sure you did them proud with your music.
ReplyDeleteI've been on that railway and have been to Arley station. It's a lovely area.
I hope you had lots of fun and that the food was good too.
Thanks Helen,
ReplyDeleteIt was sooooo hot here on Saturday.
A little more breeze would have helped.
Hi Kath,
A "squadron" of ducks!
Yes, I like it, :)
I had a similar thing happen in Sidmouth, except that these ducks (on the river Sid), argued ALL night about where they wanted to sit! (or sleep?)
Thanks for your wishes to Adam & Rose. I'm afraid I don't have a pic of them both.
(Just Rosie & sister Clare).
Thanks Amy,
I didn't really know what to play! I had loads of French tunes, but as you know there wasn't really time to include everything. :(
Another 'burst' on Saturday.....hope you are going to stand by as my reserve? :) xxxx
Hello Cherie,
Honest, I never got to look around. :(
There must have been many, many acres there, and I didn't want to wander off and miss out on the nosh.
You will do it soooooo much better, I'm sure.
Yes, I did read about that 40's do. We had a similar thing here on Sunday. (A later post - I took a few pics). Cheers. :)
Hi Foody,
It was very picturesque. Reminded me of these pictures you get in Celeb. Magazines. The photographer was in his element and really enjoying himself.
I expect it was Hub. that got you onto that railway.....but it is as you say, a very lovely area, however you travel.
Hummmmmmm, not quite sure about "fun", but the food was good. My brother tells me the cheese board came out after I had left, and was one of the best he had ever seen! I missed out again. :(
Now I have had the chance to look around and very much enjoyed what I saw :-) I did get some photos of the pretty Autumn views :-)
ReplyDeleteSadly there was no music to accompany those views...
Interesting place, having been sent here by Cherie (aka CherryPie) to view the pollarded trees in leaf that she has recently photographed in bare grey Autumn garb. It must be nice having an organ to grind. I only have an axe or two :)
ReplyDelete