.
What makes a lady of eighty, go out on the loose?
Why does a gander meander, in search of a goose?
What puts the kick, in a chicken, the magic in June?
It's just Elmer's tune.
.

.
For year's I thought the Glen Miller number above was called "Ilmer's Tune".
I'd only ever heard it sang on old recordings as it was written before I was born.
It was written in 1941 by Elmer Albrecht who worked next door to Chicago's Aragon Ballroom and received permission to use one of their pianos on his lunch hours. Bandleader Dick Jurgens liked one of the melodies he heard Albrecht play and arranged it for his orchestra. Lyricist Sammy Gallop added words.
The reason for posting this, is that we have a quiet little hamlet called Ilmer, just south of Thame.
.

.
It is down one of many little 'dead end' lanes well away from the main road and out of earshot of traffic noise. After a shopping trip to Thame Market and loaded with sandwiches, a salad pot and a big bag of fresh cherries, it is an ideal place for a picnic.
I was actually in Aston Sandford yesterday, (without my camera) and as I have had these photos of Ilmer 'gathering dust' for months, I thought I would post these up first.
.
.
The secret of finding these 'out of the way' hamlets, is to look on the map for the church symbol, especially if it is at the end of a 'No-through' road.
.
.
A perfect picnic spot all to yourself.
.
.
Ilmer church.
.
.
And a rabbit 'at rest' in the churchyard.
.

It looks a lovely place to visit. Thanks for the tip on how to track down such quaint hamlets, I will give it a go myself.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe Doc gets it right second time around!
ReplyDeleteHi Uncle Bernard. Little treat for you (I hope) HERE
So very British! I'm sure this is the sort of dreamy village that our overseas cousins imagine when they think of England.
ReplyDeleteLoving the pics and the stories and the music associated with your posts, Uncle.
ReplyDeleteThat tip of yours is very good but not always accurate. On the road between Braunton and Saunton is a very tiny church. Very quaint. very old. Has a hole in one outside wall through to the church interior where lepers could put their hands through to receive communion.
That church you have mentioned I really must visit soon. If you are local and not playing with your organ (so to speak) I'll take you out for a pie and a pint.
Yes Kath you are quite right there. The magic is that there ARE lots of villages just like that. It's not just advertising or hype it's real. Can't wait to come back over there and wander.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Morning Cherie,
ReplyDeleteI have found many a ‘secret’ spot this way. The only bad news is that the churchs are nearly always locked, which is a pity.
Hi Doc.
Thanks, yes I liked that. Many years ago there was a baby Polar bear born at London Zoo. His name began with a B? Not Brutus, Bruin perhaps, anyway he was all the rage in the ‘50s.
Hi Kath,
A lady came out of one of the cottages pushing a lawn mower. She said there was to be a funeral that afternoon and she was going to tidy up the graveyard. I asked if, years ago, there had been a school and a pub. “No”, she said, “Just the church, we are not really a village, just a hamlet”.
It is nice when the local people stop for a chat. Yes, very British and also very English.
Morning DD,
‘A pie and a pint’! How very kind. As I said to Kath, there had never been a pub at Ilmer. The pubs here are disappearing fast and in the villages where there was one once, they are now converted into a home. I’d love to live in one of these. Fancy having your own Wine Cellar!
Hi Helen,
I search out these small quiet places for a picnic. Many councils provide special ‘picnic areas’ with benches, but who wants to sit in special areas with dogs and children running around? If you want to find hidden places you do need good maps though. I also find Google Earth very useful as well.
Cheers all……..Bernard
Fancy having enough money to be able to fill your own wine cellar! :D
ReplyDeleteIt looks delightful and, as you say, very English. When I want to find places like that I just look at the map for dead end lanes. I suppose if there's a church you are probably guaranteed an open space with a bench.
ReplyDeleteI'm concerned about the poor rabbit.
Kickin' Chicken!
Morning Kath,
ReplyDeleteI was thinking of home-brew actually. :D
Hi Foody,
I have three of these dead-end lanes all within a couple of miles of each other. The early roads seem to have not linked all villages/churches directly. Of course many churches are on the main roads. Here it is quite difficult sometimes to even park and take a look around, never-mind have a picnic.
It was a dead rabbit. I just though he had chosen the right place to end his days.
I expect a fox or a kite would find him.