.

.
The new Olympic rowing venue (which appears to be called Dorney Lake) is situated not far from Bray, which I posted about last week. It is an artificial lake (or lakes as there are actually two side by side) and is easily spotted from Google Earth.
But back on the main river, about half a mile from Bray Lock is a eyot which has acquired the name of “Monkey Island“.
It is generally assumed that the Island takes its name from the monkey paintings in the pavilion but this is not correct.
.

.
The 'Monkey Hall'.
The name derives from the earlier title of "Monks Eyot" indicating that the island was being used by Monks, probably in association with their fishery in the Thames. The monks in question resided at Amerden Bank, a moated site near Bray Lock on the Buckinghamshire bank of the river.
.

.
The centre picture.
On this island, which contains about three acres, the Duke of Marlborough built a pavilion or fishing lodge, and on the ceiling of one of the rooms he commissioned these paintings.
.

.
The room is often referred to as the 'Monkey Hall' as the ceiling paintings depict monkey engaged in various human occupations.
Some are fishing, some shooting and one is sitting in a boat smoking, while a female is rowing him over the river!
They never seem to me to be very good representations of monkeys, but there you go.
The pictures are sometimes attributed to a French artist named Clermont.
.

This interesting post brought back happy memories of boating down the Thames in the 80's. And yes, I did have big hair in those days!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about the word "eyot" which is of course pronounced "eight", where does the word come from?
Very interesting I had not heard of that pavilion before. I agree with you that the monkeys don't look very convincing.
ReplyDeleteHi Kath:
ReplyDeleteThis stretch between Windsor and Marlow is the bit I know best. I worked in Taplow for twenty years and our staff club had boats for hire.
I don't know the history behind the word 'eyot'. I shall have to investigate.
I just know spell checker doesn't like it. :D
Hi Cherie:
There is of course, much more history about the island and the people who owned it, but as always there is never space on a blog for too much. Bits have to left out.