Wednesday, 28 July 2010

"I just Fancy a Pineapple"

.
The “Pine Apple Rag” was written by Scott Joplin in 1908. It is supposed to be played as a Slow March and is one of many of his works to include the instruction;

“NOTE: Do not play this piece fast. Composer.

A lot of ragtime is played much too fast as pianists try to show off.
(ie “The Entertainer” in The Sting) .
.
.
Last week I was over near Dorney, which I mentioned in my bit on Monkey Island.
There used to be a particularly good “Pick your Own” in the grounds of Dorney Court.
It is great fun to pick your own fruit and especially Pineapples.
But, like a lot of things today the “Elf ’n Safety” gang had got there first and it had closed down.

How sad.
I just fancied a Pineapple.

I am only joking about PYO pineapples - BUT they were really grown there in “Good King Charles Days”. In fact the very first pineapple to be grown in England was cultivated here at Dorney Court in 1661.
.
.
Dorney Court has been the home of the Palmer family for more than 450 years, passing from father to son through thirteen generations. It is a Grade 1 listed building, further designated as being of outstanding architectural and historical interest. Dorney Court has always been the manor house of Dorney village which was first recorded in the Doomsday Book.
.
.
A large carved stone pineapple standing in the Great Hall commemorates the first pineapple ever to be grown in England - here at Dorney Court.

The story is that at a dinner in the Mansion House, the King cut the top off a pineapple which had come from Barbados, and gave it to the Earl of Castlemaine to see if he could get it to grow!
The Earls gardener, a Mr Rose (!), planted the top and the first fruit was duly presented to King Charles II in 1661.
.
.
It is only a story, but a nice one, as it has never been proved, however there is a painting by a Dutch painter, Danckaert of the first pineapple being presented to the King.
The background in the picture bears no resemblance to Dorney but as it was painted in Holland, it is thought that he painted what to him, was a typical English home!
.
.
Further down the road is of course a pub.
And yes you've guessed; it is called the "Pineapple".
In fact, the pub is not in Dorney but in the neighbouring hamlet of Lake End.

The connection with beer does not end here either, for in 1840, a new brewer came to Maidenhead - WILLIAM NICHOLSON. William was a trained chemist and he used his skills to perfect his beer. The water for the beer came from a 320ft. artesian well under his premises; this well is on pure chalk and gave the beer its distinctive flavour. (In other words - "Thames Water").
William named his brewery PINEAPPLE BREWERY; he chose this name because the first pineapple to be grown in England was at nearby Dorney Court.

I took quite a few pictures - I think another post is called for.
.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fascinating info, looking forward to the second post.

    Now getting back to 'The Entertainer'. It was one of the pieces I used to play with my school show-band. We played it sooo fast it was a challenge to keep up and there were 10 trombonists standing up behind me, it was difficult to concentrate.

    I am not sure if I have mentioned before but I played the clarinet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cherie,
    It could have been worse for you, had there been "76 Trombones" behind you! :)
    "I took my place, as the one and only Bass"
    That's about all I can remember from that song.
    No, I don't think you have mentioned it before. I'm pleased to know you have a musical background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed that a pineapple would grow there. Bet is was a sour one !!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where I live there were pineapple farms all around. As a crop to grow and harvest it is very hands on - backbreaking work to plant each little spiky top and uncomfortable to pick - spikes and prickles to deal with and leather gloves and chaps required as you wade along the rows of pineapple plants. Glad I only have to eat the sunshiney fruit!
    Helen (again !!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fancy a pineapple too. I could always fancy a pineapple. Love the pub sign. Did 'Elf and Safety shut the big place down because of the danger of getting spiked on the head by a falling pineapple?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has nothing to do with pineapples Unc...but do you remember you asked me ages ago about the Bledow white cross? well I managed to find out that it can be seen from te footpath that runs up the side of that old pub, The Lions. apparently you can't walk on the cross, but it can be viewed from the path quite close by.This is the link to the leaflet about the walk http://www.bucksgeology.org.uk/pdf_files/Walk7_Chinnor_Bledlow.pdf
    You will notice they have uploaded it upside down! but I'm sure someone as resourceful as you Uncle B, will get round that small inconvenience :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helen,
    We get pineapples to grow here in heated greenhouses (or hot-houses). Some were heated in Victorian days by hot water pipes from a stove. They were called a ‘Stove house’, but way back in 1661 they would have used a ‘hot bed’. A big heap of compost that gave out heat as it rotted down. The pineapple plant would be stuck on the top.

    Hi Foody,
    The Elf ’n Saftey crowd insist on all sorts of safety measures. Silly things like flat level ground, so that no one might trip or fall! Fences had to be put up to make sure people didn’t bump into farm machinery! I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the farmers had to provide toilet facilities and hand washing etc. It would have cost to much to make all the changes. DD tells me they had the same problems in Devon.

    Morning Kath,
    Thanks for that. Trust you to know all the local pubs! :D
    That sounds like an interesting site - I shall wander off and have a browse.
    I have still to search out that dog’s grave, in Thame, for you. I remember about it every time I drive past the Memorial Garden, but never seem to get parked up that end of the town.
    Cheers all.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kath,
    Found it. Very useful, thanks.
    To turn a page round - Right click on it.
    Then click on 'Rotate clockwise' (90') then
    click on 'Rotate clockwise' again. (180') :D
    The only problem then is that the map is upside down! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's OK if you have a lap top, simply rotate lap top. If you have a big ole PC, it's a bit more tricky :D
    Probably your best bet is to print it off!
    If you do go up there, stop and have lunch at The Lions, we had a very nice meal there.
    I know you don't have a TV Unc, but Bledlow was the setting for an episode of Midsomer murders, which was recently re-shown. The unfortunate murder victim was buried in the grounds of Holy Trinity church and that beautiful long red brick cottage opposite was where one of the "suspects" lived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you know so much stuff! (the steaming compost bit prompted that)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi TC,
    Yes, I'm a "Mine of useless information" :)

    ReplyDelete