.
I was just browsing through a ‘What’s on’ article and two items caught my eye.
The first was “The Festival of Quilts” at the NEC in Birmingham. It runs from 19 - 22 August.
It is not that I’m a quilt enthusiast, (except for lying under them),
but just think of all the lovely ladies there!
.
.
The second which is actually more to my taste is the “Festival in the Shire”.
This sounds like a must for all Tolkien fans. I wasn’t sure about the use of the word ‘shire’ here as it turns out it is being held in Ceredigion, a Welsh county.
I had always liked to imagine that Hobbiton in the Shire was as English as you could get. Tolkein was very attracted to the English countryside around Oxfordshire.
.

.
The main Festival is for general or new fans with shopping stalls, food, entertainment, activities, film showings and music all day and late into the evening. There will be a wide variety of stalls and entertainment. Suitable for all the family, the festival takes place at Pafiliwn Bont, Wales’ centrally located multi-purpose venue.
Entertainment will include J.R.R. Tolkien inspired re-enactments, music and other performance art together with Celtic music and a myriad of fantasy related events. It will also offer attendees the opportunity to sample local Welsh food as well as view a variety of Celtic crafts and meet different craftspeople.
What a great idea.
Mmmmm, second thoughts.
It’s a three day do and will put you back £260 for a VIP 3-day pass.
Although to be fair, there is a 3-day pass to the above bit only for £35.
.

I would love both those "do's". In fact I could leave Himself at the Tolkien show and scarper off to the quiltfest :D
ReplyDeleteWould the VIP pass entitle you to a Hobbit lunch or supper...and what would those meals consist of I wonder...I understand Hobbits are particularly fond of mushrooms.
I always thought of the shire as being very English too. But a number or years ago when I was traveling to Ystradgynlais I found the mountains and road very reminiscent of the misty mountains. Very atmospheric.
ReplyDeleteHi Kath:
ReplyDeleteI was expecting you to say that you would be going to the Birmingham do to meet like minded friends? The VIP pass I believe, allowed access to all events, workshop, shows and the like. If you only paid the £35, you had to pay extra to get into other events. It all sounded a wee bit too expensive for me. :(
I agree, mushrooms! But why are they promoting Welsh food and Celtic music?
Hi Cherie:
A lot of the locations in Tolkein's work came from places he had visited. Like you I sometimes come across places that just "fit the bill" to a place in Middle Earth.
I would have gone to the quilt festival, but it's slap bang in the middle of our move.
ReplyDeleteI always thought Brill was rather Middle-earth, have you ever been there Unc?
Hmm, good question, didn't JRR study celtic languages (a tenuous link?).
Sounds like a great festival, but expensive. I love the Tolkien books. He did study celtic and norse languages, and from what I can remember from his biography he had a soft spot for Wales.
ReplyDeleteHi Eliza,
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you have sorted out your computer problems.
Yes, I too, have read all his books over and over again. Now, as my old eyes are getting tired, I have the Hobbit and LOTR as talking books. Just sit back and listen.
Hi Kath,
ReplyDeleteNow there is a windmill at Brill which I keep meaning to visit.
So many places - so little time! :D
I know JRRT studied Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, so I expect he was into other olde languages.
Strange to stick something so English somewhere so not-English. There must be places in England that woud fit the bill, one wold have thought.
ReplyDeleteI have tried JRRT. Just can't get into it.
Hi Foody,
ReplyDeleteWell, it wasn't so much the location of the fest, as the fact that all the 'side shows' were about Celtic crafts and Welsh food. Not that I have anything against things Welsh. :) It should be a 'Middle Earth" (ie English) thingie!