.
What a strange weekend it was, weather-wise!
They forecast a warm day on Saturday,
followed by cooler Sunday with a cold east wind.
What we ended up with, at Milton Keynes, was a cold east wind on Saturday,
and not a single glimpse of the sun!
.
.
Under the Oak Tree.
The cold weather certainly kept the public away, but with some 'forty odd' organs there, it was actually a very sociable 'get-together'. A lot of 'grinders' turned up with their caravans and made it a two-day do. Those with vans managed to sit out of the wind and probably cook themselves a hot meal. No such comfort for Dennis and I as we sat on the tail-gate of the Renault and shivered. At one stage, I had to lend Dennis a pair of gloves I kept in the car!
Twenty-two degrees C, they forecast -
it felt more like twelve!
.
.
Dennis took his video camera this year,
and is seen here recording Derek Stevenson,
the BOGA president with his Raffin organ.
My pitch was just to the left in this picture,
so my organ and I were in good company.
Now what have we here?
.
.
The famous "B&Q" Organ.
Now don't laugh please, but this organ is made from items bought in B&Q (DIY/hardware store).
The front, back and sides are made from 'kitchen cupboard' doors, and a lot of the tubing comes from the plumbing dept.
But it does sound good. The pipes on the front are very well made.
It was built by Malcolm Cureton, who being a real good sport, doesn't mind it being referred to as "The B&Q Organ".
At one 'do' some time back, when Malcolm was not around, some jokers opened the door on the back and put pots and saucepans inside!
Malcolm took the joke well. As I said - "a real good sport".
Now in the Museum itself, we have quite the opposite in quality.
.
.
Probably, a Polyphon?.
(Forgive me - I didn't make a 'note' of it.)
Last year I took lots of pictures inside the Museum (see here),
so I'll not repeat them again.
The old farmhouse here has been kept
as it was all those years ago,
with the old kitchen range -
.
.
There was a fire kept in and a lady, in period costume,
was cooking toast on the old 'toasting fork in front of the fire.
This was then buttered, cut into 'fingers' and handed round.
Of course, the children were fascinated as
they had never seen the way we did things years ago.
And this is the laundry.
.
.
But, back outside, more were arriving and setting up.
This below was a very impressive display.
.
.
And this next fellow had built a small vehicle to tow his organ.
Whether or not it was licenced for the road, I know not.
.
.
It is always difficult for me to choose from the loads of photos I take, which are the most suitable and interesting to put up on the blog, as I expect not everyone is interested in organs and their music.
Like this chap.
.
.
Not everyone there appreciated the organ music!
If you missed last years piccies, they are here.
And here.
.

Well it looks like you had a good roll up of organ people anyway. There certainly was quite a variety and beautifully maintained ones too.
ReplyDeleteBut Bernard, where did you sleep? Not in the car I hope!
Cheers
Helen
Helen,
ReplyDeleteIt is always good to meet up with old friends.
Some come many miles to these get-togethers.
We only travelled fifty miles from home so it wasn't necessary to stay over night. Dennis drove back the next day, but I didn't make the trip again. My friend Derek,(Dennis's brother) lives in Bombala NSW and he travels thousands of miles across Australia to meet friends at Organ events. He is also a member of the British Organ Grinders Assn. (BOGA).
The story about the pots and pans in the B&Q organ is priceless.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't seem so long ago that many people owned a harmonium. My grandmother had one in her front room - we called it a pump organ though - I think that's the same thing? It wasn't as grand as the one you had; it was quite small. As children most of us were having piano lessons and I remember playing with/on the organ in the holidays. I loved the sound, and at one stage harboured illusions about one day playing a big cathedral pipe organ. That never happened. :)
Organs and their music are very interesting, BTW. Has your friend Derek ever played a large fairground type organ at Floriade in Canberra? If so I may have heard him, some years ago.
Kate
Kate:
ReplyDeleteMalcolm told me that as he gets older, he is finding it increasingly difficult to lift his 'Pride and Joy' into the caravan. The organ is very heavy. It is like a great big kitchen cupboard with not much inside it, as the organ pipes are on the outside.
Now, there is hardly room for a teaspoon in the back of mine! You can see inside mine here:-
http://tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2009/08/organ-gets-airing.html
Some harmoniums/reed organs had a handle on one side which was pumped. I wonder if this was what your grandmother had? Most had the two foot pedals. I too have always wanted to have a go on a full size Church organ.
What I did do though, was to buy a Digital Piano, with can also play the digital sounds from hundreds of other instruments, including a dozen different pipe organ sounds. They are not real of course but sound very good. :)
Derek only has small organs Kate. I don't think he has ever owned a large one. This is one of his :-
http://tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2009/04/strike-up-band.html
Cheers......Bernard
I had a look at yours, not quite what I imagined (a rubber band!) but I think I understand. The handle works an air compressor which drives air through those pipes...
ReplyDeleteMy Gran's instrument must have been incorrectly labelled by the family. It had foot pedals, not a handle.
I followed the link to Derek's one. It's cute!
Kate
I liked all the black pots and pans in the kitchen and the bit about the taost. But the organs are very nice too.
ReplyDeleteLovely posts, here and at Tracker-Bar. And the Museum photos are priceless. Thank you so much for sharing your fascinating activities so generously. To your good health!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a fun day out despite so few visitors. The B&Q organ is quite fascinating and ingenious :-)
ReplyDeleteKate:
ReplyDeleteNot only does it pump air, the handle turns the music roll (paper with holes in it) across the tracker-bat to play the correct pipe. Tun faster - the tune plays faster. Turning the handle is the easy part. :)
Writing the music and punching the holes in the right places is where the skill lies. :)
Foody:
The kitchen was the warmest place to be on Saturday! :) . . . . . and that smell of hot buttered toast was heavenly! :)
Thank you Claude,
I found your comment on tracker-bar and left you a reply. :)
Cheers, and "Good Health" to you too.
Cherie:
We still have fun even when it's cold. :)
Not quite so much fun though, when it's wet.
I absolutely love the chimp; you get all the fun and none of the mess! It's just what you need for monkeying around on the weekend.
ReplyDeleteHi Myrna,
ReplyDeleteI have been meaning to make something that moves to sit on top of the organ. Not everyone uses monkeys. There are bears, birds and loads of animated clowns. When I found out I could buy this one, I did. :)
It will save all the hassel of having to make my own.