Wednesday, 13 October 2010

“Where’s your Monkey?”

.
This blog is called the ‘Organ Grinder’s Monkey‘,
and do you know what -
this organ grinder doesn’t have a monkey,
or even a chimp.
.
.
Some time back I did a post on how organ grinders and monkeys got together - here.
I suppose I shall have to get one some day as most people do enquire as to “Where’s your Monkey?”
The trouble is a lot of these stuffed toys look a bit silly and I haven’t really seen one that I fancied sitting on top of the organ, until…..
until…..this last weekend.

Playing his organ
on my right hand side was another ‘Bernard’.
Bernard Pilgrim.

.

.
He said “You need a monkey” and plonked this Furry Chimp on the top of my organ.
Now once this chimp started moving and making noises, I noticed that people were stopping and not only listening to the music, but were fascinated by the monkey and so we all got into conversation. (ignoring the monkey’s contribution)

It was a ”must have one of those” situations for me.

So yesterday, I went off to Argos and bought one!
.
.

I don’t have a video camera,
so you will have to pop over to YouTube and take a peek.

.

.
Kids will just love this......
......and I saw many 'grown up' kids enjoying it too.
.


9 comments:

  1. The wonders of modern science Bernard, a Monkey that doesn't need nuts:)

    My neighbour has a "pretend" cat that reacts to movement, it purrs, maiows and does other things, I have tried swapping it for my old, deaf, incontinent Pussy but she keeps noticing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may not need nuts Angus, but it does need three bloody expensive batteries to work!
    Peanuts would work out cheaper. :)
    I know you are only joking about your poor old Pussy. :)
    If you two, are like me and Hazel, you couldn't bear to part from her. Hazel has been a good friend for eighteen years and the least I can do now is to look after her in her old age.
    You love your old Pussy really; I can tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that one will get lots of attention next time you go out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea, and so much easier to look after even if it does need batteries. People will definitely love this. One thing though, does it hold out a cup when the music stops? :)

    Lovely organ in the first video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee. I look forward to seeing it on your organ at your next organ day out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just looked at that food scape photo you mentioned on my blog. Fantastic!
    Also read about the Council Tax case. Will be very interesting to see the outcome.
    I take it your little elderly kitty Hazel is doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother used to say, "You are the company you keep!" Well, you must be very cute, Sir, because your chosen friend would melt any heart. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CherryPie,
    Movement on the organ makes a world of difference, especially to the very young children. They don't really understand what is inside and how it works. It could just as easily be a CD player! Automations help catch their attention :)

    Kate:
    It actually came with a bottle that it holds in its hand and drinks from. I could replace it with a small cup. It would have to be a lightweight plastic one. Money in it would be too heavy I think. Bernard's organ sounds better in real life (as they all do). I don't think the sound recording here is all that good. There is a very good recording done of three organs playing at Basingstoke.
    http://tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2009/02/organs-at-milestones.html
    Hope you don't mind all these links? :)

    Foody:
    It will be next year, I guess. I don't expect to take it out this Christmas, although I go out and help Dennis sometimes.
    It wasn't just the one picture. There were 17 foodie pictures in all! Did you get time to see all of them?
    Thanks, Hazel is managing OK. She had a check-up at the vets a couple of weeks ago and the vet said she was very good for her age. Of course - 'bits' do wear out as we get older.

    Claude:
    Thanks for that. :)
    At 68 years 'young', I wouldn't exactly describe myself a 'cute' and I'm sure I am too old to go around 'melting hearts'. :)
    I shall leave the melting of hearts to the monkey.
    Take care.
    Cheers......Bernard

    Angus:
    It needs 4.5 volts to make him work. :)
    I'd hate to think what 230 volts would do for him. :(
    Show us your Pussy Angus.
    You'd get loads of adoring ladies leaving comments. :)

    ReplyDelete