.

.
Further upstream from Marlow are some delightful riverside villages like Hurley and Hambleden. Although there is a Hambleden weir, lock and converted mill on the river, Hambleden village is about half a mile away.
On Sunday, I thought I’d pay the area a visit.
Hambleden valley is a popular venue with film-makers for location work. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen it on BBC programs. (The Two Ronnies etc.)
One of the most well-known films to have been shot there, was “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” I have to admit to having not seen it, but I understand it was based on the late Ian Flemming’s children’s story about an eccentric professor and his “flying” car.
It starred Dick van Dyke, Sally Ann Howes, James Robertson Justice and Lionel Jefffries just to name a few.
.
.
These popular ’film locations’ seem to attract visitors like ’bees round a honey pot’ and Sunday was no exception. I don't park in the village....as a 'local' I know of spots out of the way.
It is a delightful village with no modern buildings to be seen anywhere and well worth a visit on a quiet weekday. But no photo-opportunities here today.
.
.
So…..got back in the car and went further up the valley to Turville. The pub here has a large car-park which helps to keep the roads free.
Here at Turville is found the ‘famous’ windmill also used in the “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” film.
It’s correct title is Cobstone Mill. (Sorry about the power lines!)
.
.
Today’s pictures show what residents have to endure every weekend through the summer months.
I understand that this happens to all locations that have been featured in popular films……shame.
Tomorrow I will show you to the same two villages…..minus cars.
.

I agree the visitors and most especially the cars spoil the enjoyment of these beautiful places. There are some film locations I have been to that have been spoilt by hoards of visitors.
ReplyDeleteIf cars were banned there would be no visitors and life would be idyllic. Lovely pictures.
ReplyDeleteThere has to be a balance between 'no visitors' and 'too many visitors'.
ReplyDeleteA line has to be drawn somewhere.