.
Some months ago I read that Jan had bought a 'Kindle'. An electronic book.
I said "I thought a Kindle was a collective noun for a group of kittens". I looked it up and it is actually spelt 'Kendel'.
Then in the same book I noticed that a group of cats is referred to as a 'Clowder'.
Jan reckoned this sounded more like a fish soup than a load of cats!
The book I found these in, listed about thirty names for groups of animals and another thirty for collective gatherings of birds.
I won't trouble you with all sixty but here are just a few;
For horsey lovers:-
A Harras of horses
A Rag of colts
A Stud of mares
A Pace of asses
A Baren of mules
And for those who like our feathered friends:-
A Nye of pheasants
A Brood of hens
A Muster of peacocks
A Flight of doves
A Badelynge of ducks
Now yesterday, whilst out for a walk over Winter Hill I came across my Christmas dinner!
.
.
No reference in the book to a group of turkeys.....any ideas. How about a 'Nowell of turkeys'?
No that's a bit unkind.
And to finish....here's a little dittie on plurals:-
We’ll begin with box, the plural is boxes,
But the plural of ox is oxen, not oxes!
One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
But the plural of moose should never be meese!
You may find a lone mouse, or a hole for mice,
The plural of house is houses, not hice!
If the plural of man is always men,
Why shouldn’t the plural of pan, be pen?
The cow in plural form is cow or kine,
But bow if repeated is never called bine.
If I speak of a foot and you show me two feet,
If I gave you a boot, would a pair be called beet?
If one is a tooth and the whole set is teeth,
Why shouldn’t the plural of booth be beeth?
If the singular is this, the plural is these;
Shouldn’t the plural of kiss be kese?
Then one may say that, and two will be those,
Your hat in the plural would never be hose;
We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
But though we say mother, we never say methren!
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
But imagine the feminine she, shis and shim!
So, English, I think you will all agree,
Is the Silliest language you ever did see.
.

Ah now there I can help you out my friend... a flock, a brood, a bale, a rafter or a gang of Turkey's is how they are known... flock being the more usual... but I quite like the idea of having a bale of turkeys.... mmmm
ReplyDeleteWas there a collective noun for ponies?
ReplyDeleteDoesn't the word "nye" come into place names? Can't think of any at the moment but it sounds familiar. Wonder if that's because there was pheasant rearing going on there in years gone by.
I knew flight of doves and brood of hens but none of the others were familiar.
ReplyDeleteI think I'll give up on plurals ... although something from your list may well help me with crosswords.
Thank you 'Wise Herb'. I should have guessed that you would know. Actually I like the 'gang' of turkeys...or how about a 'gobble' of turkeys?
ReplyDeleteFoody, I didn't see anything about ponies....but don't they come under 'horses' but a smaller version?
Hi Valerie, If you saw the total list you'd be amazed. As you say, good for crosswords.
Wow, bronze turkeys. You hardly ever see them raised here for Thanksgiving or Christmas, they're all white. Americans prefer white-feathered turkeys so they don't have to see pinfeathers and be reminded that thing once lived. I like the bronze turkeys myself. We had one, Tammy Faye, for 9 years or so. She was Bob's pet.
ReplyDeleteBronze? Is that what they are?
ReplyDeleteWell, well. Do you know I can well believe that a lot of people don't know what they are eating or perhaps don't want to know.
Many children today do not know where things like bacon originates and they probably think sausages grow on trees!
Ah, Winter hill, I used to ride down through Quarry woods, in my horse-owning days, down the old wool-way and back out at the Hockett, for one last gallop across the common, before returning to Woodlands farm.Refreshments at the Jolly Farmer..Farmer Copus kept turkeys...Kath
ReplyDeleteFancy you knowing the farmer's name.
ReplyDeleteI didn't even know there was a turkey farm in Cookham Dean. I used to live in Cookham Village 40 years ago and cannot remember the turkeys. You learn something new every day.