Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Don't Burst my Bubble

.
.
Now this must be one of the most popular songs ever written. I'm sure there can't be many, certainly here in England, who have not heard of it.
It was given a copyright in 1919 having been composed/written by Jaan Kenbrovin and John William Kellette.

I'm dreaming dreams, I'm scheming schemes,
I'm building castles high,
They're born anew, their days are few,
Just like a sweet butterfly;
And as the daylight is dawning,
They come again in the morning:

I'm forever blowing bubbles, .....Pretty bubbles in the air,

.
.
I took this on Monday at Tylers Green.
The little green man kept blowing bubbles to the music of the organ as long as Dennis kept the pot topped up with.........."Bubble Bath" soap.
I was quite pleased with the photo, as it was not easy to estimate when the puff of air was coming!
.
.
"Bubbles"

The sheet music above had a rather disappointing cover, so I placed this postcard on it.
Here is a better view. It was painted by Sir John Millais and I believe it was used to advertise 'Pears Soap'.

Bubbles have been in the news a couple of times during August.

"Tim Kehoe spent 15 years and an astonishing $3m (£1.8m) creating the world's first ever coloured blowing bubbles, which have now gone on sale.
Zubbles contain a special dye which gives them vibrant colours but disappears within just 15 minutes of the bubble popping.
Created from special dyes, the colour in Zubbles vanishes when exposed to air, water or pressure.
The elegant physics of bubbles is surprisingly simple - just two layers of soap enclosed by a layer of water a million times thinner than an inch.
However, nearly all attempts to tweak their creation have failed.
Inventors have created slightly larger and longer-lasting versions, but the 'holy grail' of toys, bringing the magic of colour to bubbles, has been notoriously difficult.
When paint or food colouring is added, it runs straight down the sides and forms a spot of dye on the base of the bubble.
And while some dyes have successfully stained bubbles, they also stained people's clothes."


And this fellow, below, is trying to get into the record books with the worlds largest ever bubble!
.
.

‘Tis hard to part with one you love,
‘Tis hard to say ’Goodbye’.
‘Tis harder still to find the towel,
With soapsuds in your eye!
.

7 comments:

  1. I had the Bubbles picture in my bedroom the whole of my childhood. I grew quite attached to it so you can guess how thrilled I was to see it on your blog. Bubbles always fascinated me,I would spent hours trying to make bigger and better ones and never succeeding,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture you captured, the bubbles are just perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite the talented photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear All,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Do you know I found two versions of that Bubbles picture...one printed as I have shown and in a book, it was a inverse image! I think mine is correct because there is a small block of soap on the ground with the word 'Pears' on it.
    Pears paid £2200 to use it as an advert....and that was in 1886!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandparents had that picture framed in their lounge and it IS an advert for Pears soap. They thought the boy looked like their Son (but when the son got to about 46 years of age the resemblance was distinctly remote) love the song tho' and I had it on my mind all day yesterday. Thank you Kippers NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bit of useless information ... the Bubbles picture used to be in the front of the Pears Encyclopedia, last seen by me in the 1954 edition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi D-D, I did a bit of research and the young lad was the artists' grandson. It was first at the Royal Academy, then sold to the 'Illustrated London News' before being used by Pears.

    Valerie, What a fantastic memory.
    Fancy remembering that all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete