Monday, 28 September 2009

Feeling the cold?

.
Dear Brother Jock, if you wear a Scotch ‘frock’,
Mind the cold doesn’t give you paralysis.
We’ve been searching for weeks, but can’t find your breeks,
So we’re sending a wee pair of Alice’s.

You may have noticed this a couple of days ago in one of my ramblings, but it leads nicely into a snippet I found in the papers yesterday.......

"...They have long been a staple in every woman’s winter wardrobe but now it seems leggings could become the must-have item for men too.
Leading department store Selfridges is launching its first ever collection of hosiery for men this autumn, admitting that inquiries have soared in the past year.
Dubbed ‘Mantihose’ and made by lingerie brand Unconditional the range will go on sale later this week with a pair of tights retailing for £70.
Stores have already sold male handbags dubbed ‘manbags’, leggings for men known as ‘Meggings’ and eyeliner for men described as ‘guyliner’, but now it seems metrosexual attitudes are extending to hosiery.
The “mantihose” is extremely versatile and we expect men to be wearing them not only as a way to as a way to give legs an extra boost of warmth on the chilliest nights, but as a true style statement.’....."

"Oh, dam it! I've gone and laddered my Mantihose!"

Can you just imagine it?
I think I had better give complicated things like Meggings and Mantihose a wide berth.
Went out for the day on Sunday, and when I got back a friend said to me,

"Do you know you've got your T shirt on inside out?"

.
I'd been wandering around all day like this! I must be losing it.

You had better keep me well away from 'Meggings'.....I wouldn't know which bit of me goes in where!

6 comments:

  1. Remember the exceptionally long socks worn with plus-fours?
    Oh well, if it stops the old man from moaning about the cold, I'm all for him getting a few pairs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always did feel sorry for men with just those half calf length (extremely stupid length!)socks and some trousers to protect them from the cold, when we could wear thick woolly tights on our legs. They should have brought out mantihose years ago. I suppose there have been long johns around for quite a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't these called "Longjohns"? I actually thought women's leggings were designed after the long underwear men wear. I supposed those old red ones the miners used to wear would be called "bodysuits" now and made out of Lycra, or something else that was just snug enough to be obscene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie, a couple of pairs is £140.
    That money would probably get him a 120 pairs of socks from Marks!

    Hi Foody, I agree about the short socks, which I don't like because they cut into my leg and leave marks.
    I am now converted to knee-high versions which do not cause that problem.

    Jan, my grandfather used to wear long-johns, but they were long-legged under-pants. I believe a lot of people use them still in out-door sports like hill-walking etc.
    With this supposed 'global warming' perhaps non of us will need these in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOH I've been wandering around like that today, only just realised my t-shirt is on inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank heavens I'm not alone!
    Mind you....this is the first time I ever noticed it, or have been told about it. Socks ....yes...but tea-shirts. I wonder when I started doing things like this?

    ReplyDelete