Friday, 11 September 2009

From the News

.
.
Oh! that Gorgonzola cheese,
It wasn't over healthy I suppose,
For our Tom-cat fell a corpse upon the mat,
When the "niff" got up his nose.
Talk about the flavour of the "crackling on the pork!"
Nothing could have been so strong,
As the beautiful effluvia that filled our house,
When the Gorgonzola cheese went wrong.

Food songs seemed to be one of Harry Champion's stock-in-trade. as another of his favourites was "Boiled beef and carrots". He was also well known for his renditions of "Any old iron" and "I'm Henery the eighth, I am".
.
.
Spotted this amazing bit in today's foody section.

"Sarah Kaufmann is proudly known as The Cheese Lady thanks to her ability to carve tasty works from mild cheddar"

And then on another page found.....

Learning a musical instrument helps to boost children's memory.

I would have thought learning anything would improve a child’s memory. Or, for that matter, anyone’s memory.
But here we have a government-commissioned study suggesting…..

“Learning a musical instrument is beneficial for children’s behaviour, memory and intelligence“.
Research found that learning to play an instrument enlarges the left side of the brain, enhancing pupils’ power of memory by almost 20 per cent.
Susan Hallam, of the University of London’s Institute of Education, carried out the research as part of a drive to encourage more children to take up a musical instrument.
The study revealed that over time music lessons increased pupils’ IQ by seven points, compared with 4.3 points for drama lessons
The Government aims to double the number of opportunities for children, aged from seven to eleven, to learn an instrument for free by 2011.

Do we really need all these "studies" to tell us the bleeding obvious?


2 comments:

  1. Love that carving! The texture looks so smooth. I thought it was dough or pastry. As food fiend and violin learner, this is a post for me. I too am hoping that learning the instrument (been learning for 8 years now and still rubbish)will boost my memory so I don't go the way of my Alzheimer's-infested ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I found it in the Foodie section of the Daily Telegraph.
    If I remember rightly, there were about 18 other items shown that she had carved.
    Music is supposed to be one of the best ways. I also find this blogging lark is a good way to help keeping alert and mentally fit.

    ReplyDelete