Saturday, 5 September 2009

Bells across the Meadow

.
.
A couple of weeks ago I did a bit on Wittenham Clumps in Berkshire on the banks of the Thames.
Here the river turns to the east to skirt round the higher ground. Standing with my back to the Clumps one can gaze out across the riverside meadows to the historic village of Dorchester.
In the picture above, the river is right below us out of sight just below these trees in the foreground. It is at this point that the River Thame joins the main river to become the Thames.

As I stood there to take in the view, the bells' of Dorchester Abbey rang out, and it immediately brought to mind a piece of music.
.
.
I'm afraid there are no words to the music as it is an intermezzo for piano by Albert Ketelbey.
Albert William Ketelbey was born on the 4th August 1875 in Birmingham, the son of an engraver. He was an accomplished pianist and organist, as well as being proficient on oboe, cello, clarinet and horn.

As there is only a footbridge here at Days' Lock, one has to make quite a detour to cross the river by car.
Dorchester today lies over the old Romano-British walled town of which the southern and western boundaries can still be traced.
In 1140 Dorchesters' Augustinian monastery was founded and the Abbey was built on the old Saxon foundations.
.
.
Time, like an ever-rolling stream
Bears all it’s sons away;
They fly forgotten as a dream,
Dies at the morning day.
.

4 comments:

  1. I have never been to Dorchester. It sounds like a place that I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loads of pics taken all around this area. But I only post a few at a time. Anywhere along the river, down to about Windsor, is always worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you love all things musical and I so enjoy your posts. I am hoping sometime soon to see something about one of my favorite old songs, Annie Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim,
    I was just reading your bit on teeth and dentists...... couldn't think what to say!
    The only music I could think of, was the one about Christmas and two front teeth!
    I shall look for Annie Laurie, but it was never sold as sheet music, it is usually included in books of Folk Songs.
    Cheers......Bernard

    ReplyDelete