Saturday, 15 August 2009

"Buttocks and Boobs"

.
.
Instead of a boring old farmer's gate I went in search of something more attractive and found this lovely one at the foot of Wittenham Clumps.
There are a pair of hills here side by side, but to get the gate in the picture I only managed one clump!

The tree-covered heights of the Iron Age Hillfort on Sinodun (or Castle) Hill are a well-known beauty spot known variously as Wittenham Clumps, the "Berkshire Boobs" or "Mother Dunch's Buttocks!"
The name Sinodun is pure Celtic. Seno-Dunum means 'Old Fort'. This may indicate it was abandoned quite some time before the Romans arrived in Berkshire or, more likely, that it was so-named in the post-Roman period, before the Saxons arrived.
.
.
Also at the clumps is the 'Money-Pit' where a vast treasure, guarded by a large black raven, is said to be buried. The clump of trees on Round (or Harp) Hill, adjoining Sinodun, are sometimes called the Cuckoo Pen. The locals believed that if you could trap a cuckoo within its branches, summer would never end.

There was also this rather nice 3 dimensional map with the usual "You are here" notice.

.
.
Day's Lock shown on this map is the site for the annual "Pooh Sticks" championships.
Dozens of children turn up to drop sticks off the bridge.
.

4 comments:

  1. Smashing blog as always. Are you anywhere near Kempton Park. There's a big juke box do in October I.m going to if i can camp/motorhome overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Ken, I have to admit I don't know where Kempton Park is?
    I'm on the west side of the Smoke so the only racing done around here is at Ascot.
    Thanks for your appreciative comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that is a beautiful gate view that you tracked down :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely designed gate...not any old mass produced item. Hand made locally, I bet.

    ReplyDelete