Thursday, 27 August 2009

"Bacon and Greens"

.
Last week: Ham & bacon, next week: grapes & mustard, the week after: cabbage & liquorice allsorts, & so on.

Bad..... bad for you!....Ban it.

.
.
Does no-one realise that 'experts' exist solely to perpetuate themselves??
Ignore them, & they will wander off & discover another "threat" to our existence, based on feeding two rats with eight tons of pork over 6 months, or some such. There are far worse ways of dying than by having the odd bacon sarnie.

When I read stories like this, new alarms/warnings etc about meat products of all kinds, I seriously wonder whether or not there is a hidden agenda. I suspect that in many cases the people or organisations that leak the story or actively promote the story are, in reality, trying to advance vegetarianism.

And....what did I read today?

"The British people face wartime rations and a vegetarian diet in the event of a world food shortage, a new official assessment on the UK’s food security suggests today.
Supplies in future may also be disrupted by animal disease outbreaks, disruption of power supplies, trade disputes and interruptions for shipping and at ports.
In the event of an extreme event, cereal crops would be used to feed the nation and ensure that each person received sufficient daily calories.
In the event of an extreme emergency the most dramatic consequence would be every person eating a predominantly vegetarian diet — more cereals, fruit and vegetables and less meat and poultry. Cereals used to feed farm animals would be shifted into human food production."

A World Food crisis? what food crisis?

I thought we paid farmers NOT to produce ?

Is this why we effectively have state control of certain prices ?

This is the most ridiculous piece of scaremongering I have ever seen. "Predominantly vegetarian diet" is being used as a scare tactic, when what they really mean is that we will be required to 'cut down' on meat consumption.

What a beautifully socialist report. Nothing that our current government does can affect anything - all the effects are global.

And immigration? No effect at all, apparently.


Now let me see....do I have music to match.....ah yes ....how about this?
.
.
I have lived long enough to be rarely mistaken,
And had my full share of life's changeable scenes,
But my woes have been so laced by good greens and bacon,
And my joys have been doubled by bacon and greens.

What a thrill of remembrance e'en now they awaken,
Of childhood's gay morning, and youths merry scenes,
When one day, we had greens and a plate full of bacon,
And the next we had bacon and a plate full of greens!

This was published on Valentines day in 1859, and is one of the typical 'Foody' ballads prevalent at that time....a sort of hybrid song of 'pop' and 'folk' idiom.


Let's go to the other extreme......how about a....

"The Porkgasm"

Bacon strips, bacon sausage, ham sausage, ham slices, smoked pork sausage and roasted pork belly surrounded by ground sausage shaped into a pig, wrapped in bacon and roasted. Garnished with chili ears and tail.
.
Wow!
.

7 comments:

  1. What fantastic mouthwatering pics!
    Love the piggy formed of piggy meats with the tomato eyes.
    I think it is scaremongering. Remember we are a nation of fatties. There is so much over-eating and over-processing going on. If the binge eaters just started eating normally and we didn't use up so much food just to produce "food" there would be a lot more to go round. I mean a lot of those processed foods are made up of about 5% meat and 75% fat and 30% cereal (I'm talking through my hat but I've got the basics). If we just ate a moderate amount of meat and more veg, as we really ought to do, there would be plenty to go round and there would be less cancer, high BP and all the other problems that go with being too fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would like that!
    I think those red things sticking up are chillies, supposed to be his ears!
    You are right of course....but I do see lots of pasture land, set aside land etc. It was never like this, say, thirty years ago. Nearly all our orchard have gone, and we hardly grow any wheat....it comes from Russia!
    (just to mention two items)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always believe in a little of everything in moderation can't do anyone any harm.

    So yes I agree scaremongering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just what my Grandmother used to say.
    I'm gradually going back to eating the way they used to....plain basic cooking (avoiding as many added chemicals as possible)

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it's not because of set-aside that the wheat and orchards have gone, is it?there isn't that much set aside. Or is there?
    Iheard there wasn't much demand for cider nowadays and that some apple growers are using the fruit as bio-fuel. That's controversial too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you will find that the eu have specified and approved certain varieties (of fruit). This is why you see all the same apples in supermarkets, only small producers and specialist growers can sell small quantities of 'really' 'tasty' apples. (and other fruit I expect)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A coronary on a plate hee hee it's making my mouth water! Kath

    ReplyDelete