.
.
Many holidaymakers visit picturesque Aldeburgh, famed for its shingle beach and fisherman's huts. These are just two of the things one would expect to find at the seaside.
There are dozens of other things you could come across but there is always one thing that you can guarantee to be there in large numbers, and that is Sea Gulls!
Councillors in Aldeburgh, this upmarket resort in Suffolk, have decreed that the birds there have become a "serious pest".
The councillors said, many of the visitors have complained of sleepless nights due to the raucous calls of the gulls.
Heavens above….if you don’t like seagulls….don’t go to a seaside resort for a holiday!
Obviously the council does not want to encourage seagulls but any holiday makers going there are now going to get a fine for feeding the gulls.
Not a polite “Please don’t feed the birds” telling off.
Not even a “Smack on the wrist”.
No……Holidaymakers have been warned they could be fined £2,500 for feeding chips to seagulls.
Susie Squires, spokeswoman for the TaxPayers' Alliance, said the penalty was entirely out of proportion to the scale of the offence.
She said: ''This fine seems unreasonably large…. and the punishment does not fit the crime.”
.
.
My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time…
To let the punishment fit the crime…
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!
........G&S Mikado
Can you just imagine it…..anyone found guilty of throwing chips to gulls, will be made to kneel down on the beach with their mouth wide open….whilst passers-by on the promenade throw chips into it!!!
.

Think I would just boycott the place!
ReplyDeleteGreat choice of music :-)
Me too.
ReplyDeleteHear, hear. The reason why seagulls nick food and raid bins is because people feed them. Bins could be given covers and people should be shown what feeding does. It makes them come asking for more. My friend's hubby got his Cornishpastie snatched out of his hand whilst sitting on a bench in Cornwall (hee hee hee!)
ReplyDeleteThat's why horses and ponies lean over and nip your buttons. It's because people - probably to the annoyance of their owners - pull up grass and feed them at the fence. Did you see Julia Bradbury feeding her apple to that horse on "Coast to Coast"? You could see it was asking her for food and then she just gave it to it! I do mean n to write to the BBC about that. I have a naugty gelding and I have to keep explaining to people why I would relly rather they didn't let their kiddies hand feed him. I've had to put a notice on the gate and keep up my 3rd party insurance in case someone loses a finger.
Loved the G&S bit. I think they should submit to be being fed seagull style - regurgitated fish down the neck!
Is it only because of the insurance that you don't like the ponies being fed? Or are apples bad for them?
ReplyDeleteI believe some things like bracken can be poisonous.
Good comments today Foody.
Are there any more lower down?
Apples are fine for them. It's not because of the insurance, because I've got the insurance. It's more because I don't want them nipping at me every time I go to them, because one of them does. I suppose I don't want people coming to me complaining that the ponies have nipped them either.
ReplyDeleteIt's not that we have many passers-by, it's easily fewer than one a day but I still don't want them doing it.
Didn't read all your comment so I'm back.
ReplyDeleteOne more lower down.
Bracken is poisonous, like ragwort and other things but they know and so don't eat it (unless it's mistakenly served dried in hay).