Thursday, 6 August 2009

When Teardrops Fall

.
.
Onions!......Can you think of a less likely subject for a song?

But, believe it or not there have been quite a few.

I have the music to "I've never wronged an Onion, so why does it make me cry?" by Ernie Mayne.
The tune is in a songbook and so no cover picture.....which is why you see "Weep no More"!

Another Ernie Mayne song was "A N'Egg And Some N'Ham And A N'Onion".
Harry Champion also had a song called, believe it or not, "Baked Sheep's Heart Stuffed With Sage And Onions".

However the most unusual has to be:-

IN SWEET ONION TIME (I'LL BREATHE MY LOVE TO YOU)
By The Duncan Sisters--Sam Coslow © 1924

It's quite a long bit, so I won't copy out too much....just a few choice parts.

When it's sweet onion time in Bermuda,
I'll breathe my love to you.
In that fragrance divine,
With your lips close to mine,
Your eyes with teardrops will shine.
We will frolic among the garlic,
Till we hear those sweet wedding bells chime.
If you get lost in the dark, I will find you,
In Bermuda in sweet onion time.

When it's sweet onion time in Bermuda,
I'll breathe my love to you.
Other lovers may dine
All their sweethearts with wine;
We'll have a real onion stew.
I remember when I first met you,
With a bunch of sweet scallions divine,
Your love was strong and it knocked me unconscious,
In Bermuda in sweet onion time.
.

Instead of a picture of an onion....how about Anny Ondra from the Hitchcock film 'Blackmail'; the very first British 'talkie'.

.
.

With pale set face and head bent low
The guilty women stands.
“I cannot do the deed!” she cries
And the knife drops from her hand.
“Alas!” she cries, “I must!”
And the knife again she feels,
And as the tears roll down her cheeks



…..The onion then she peels.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment