Monday, 17 August 2009

"All Together Now....."

.
This next song I arranged for the organ a couple of years back, and every time I start to play people wonder what on earth it is.
.
.
Everyone delights to spend their summer's holiday
Down beside the side of the silvery sea.
I'm no exception to the rule, in fact, if I'd my way,
I'd reside by the side of the silvery sea.
But when you're just the common or garden Smith or Jones or Brown,
At business up in town, you've got to settle down.
You save up all the money you can till summer comes around,
Then away you go, to a spot you know,
Where the cockle shells are found.
chorus.............
.
.
Timothy went to Blackpool for the day last Easter tide,
To see what he could see by the side of the sea.
Soon as he reach'd the station there, the first thing he espied
Was the Wine Lodge door stood open invitingly.
To quench his thirst, he toddled inside, and call'd out for a 'wine',
Which grew to eight or nine, till his nose began to shine.
Said he, "What people see in the sea I'm sure I fail to see!
So he caught the train, back home again,
Then to his wife said he:
chorus..................
.
.
William Sykes the burglar, he'd been out to work one night,
Fill'd his bag with jewels, cash and plate.
Constable Brown felt quite surprised when William hove in sight
Said he, "The hours you're keeping are far too late".
So he grabb'd him by the collar and lodged him safe and sound in jail.
Next morning looking pale, Bill told a tearful tale.
The judge said,"For a couple of months, I'm sending you away!"
Said Bill, "How kind! Well if you don't mind
Where I spend my holiday."
chorus.......................
.
.
And have any of you guessed the chorus?

Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside,
Oh, I do like to be beside the sea.

It just goes to show how a catchy chorus can relegate the verses to the historic pile of the unknown.
.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you know I didn't guess it!

    You have got me fascinated in your sheet music and old songs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tune to the verse is also very good, it is sad that it is overlooked. That is why I arranged it for the organ to give it an 'airing'.
    I love the old songs.....perhaps there will soon be a revival?

    ReplyDelete