Tuesday, 18 August 2009

"Muffins", "Crumpets" and "Pikelets"

.
Over on Ken's blog we have been discussing "Muffins", "Crumpets" and "Pikelets".
I decided to do a bit of 'research'.......well, it's a real "can of worms"! (not really).

It is true that both the word ‘Muffin’ and ‘Crumpet’ have referred to, shall we say, casual lady friends.
The OED quotes examples from 1856 of these ladies in Canada being referred to as “muffins”.

.
.
The word “muffin” is connected to the French word “moufflet” ..soft bread.
The probable origin of the word “crumpet” is the Welsh “crempog”, a pancake or fritter.
Both are made of batter, both require re-cooking, and both are served hot and well buttered. (I like the thought of a ‘hot buttered’ woman!)
Crumpets, the round things with lots of holes, are available from grocers and supermarkets rather than a bakery.
Perhaps they are delivered direct from a plastics recycling plant and have never seen the inside of a bakers!
One rarely sees a real muffin, (so I’m told), except in Lancashire where they are sold by the local baker.

Now in my copy of “Bread and Yeast Cookery” by Elizabeth David, there are scores of recipes for both crumpets and muffins dating from as far back as 1747.
They all seem to use the same ingredients….. However some were cooked thin, for a short time and others were cooked in a deep metal ring for a bit longer.
It actually seems a very regional thing, probably passed on from mother to daughter.
Some areas, like in the Midlands, used to add brown flour, others only used white.
I have found recipes for Scotch crumpets, Scarborough muffins and Lancashire muffins, all variations on a theme.
So muffins and crumpets….similar ingredients…..muffins cooked deep….crumpets made from a thinner batter and cooked on a open griddle.
.
.
How about this Pikelet (above) then?

In Lancashire and Yorkshire, crumpets are sometimes called ‘pikelets‘.
The earliest recipe I found for a pikelet, came from Leicestershire dated 1841.
Again we have the same batter mixture, but with perhaps more egg and a pinch of nutmeg.
A Staffordshire recipe states that “they should be as thick only as pancakes” but goes on to say “if they are made as thick as a muffin, they should be split and buttered inside”.
Pikelets are in the North often referred to as “Griddle Pancakes” and in the South as “Drop Scones”. In Scotland and in Wales they are a yeasted “Drop Scone”.

I would therefore conclude by saying …..at one end….

...we have a muffin. The thickest or deepest, that is soft, bread-like and could be sliced, toasted and buttered inside.***
Next down the scale (in dimensions) there is a crumpet. This is more like a pancake mixture and has the characteristic ‘holes’. Being thinner is does not need to be sliced but is toasted on both sides and buttered only on the side with the holes.
Finally we have the pikelet ….a thinner crumpet mixture which results in a thinner version of a crumpet, but cooked the same way.

I am no expert and stand to be corrected.

*** ”The correct way to toast muffins is not to split them and toast the two halves separately, as this makes them tough. Instead, cut them open, then close together again and toast slowly until warm right through, before opening out and buttering generously”.
.

10 comments:

  1. Our muffins are more like little round cakes (shaped like cupcakes). No yeast, but baking soda and/or baking powder is added. They can have 1,000s of combinations of ingredients from oatmeal, bran, fruit, chocolate chips, cheese, herbs, vegetables (carrot, zucchini, pumpkin...)

    A 'muffin top' is slang for that bit of belly fat that protrudes over a tight waistband. A good muffin has a 'top' that spills over the muffin tin. To eat, you should divide the muffin in half horizontally, with the top and the bottom round bit each slathered in butter.

    You may already know this...
    but thanks for your bit of history on the differences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooooooo, crumpets! My grandmother used to get them from Worthington's bakery. They were about 5 inches in diameter, we cut them in half (side to side like two halves of a pie) after loading them with unhealthy amounts of butter. Worthington's eventually closed and we missed our crumpets, and meat pies. Now I sometimes buy crumpets at the supermarket but they aren't nearly as tasty or as large.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Violet, thank you for that bit of information. I only looked at definitions here in UK. I expect if I did a world search for 'muffins' I'd be at it for months to come.
    That belly fat here is called a
    'spare-tyre'.

    Hi Deb, 5" crumpets sounds like quite a mouth-full!....but are they like bread or are they like a pancake?
    That first picture of mine shows the two types.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're the type with all the holes about 3/4 inch thick. A unique structure that captures and holds ALL that butter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 5" by 3/4".
    One of those would probably 'suck up' about 4oz of butter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My, I am impressed. As Ken says, I surely started something. Thank you for investigating and provided evidence in the written word. I went to Ken's blog to record my four pennyworth and raise another question. Pop over there and have a look. Isn't this fun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Valerie,
    Nice of you to drop in.
    I just love looking at our history of cooking, eating and food related items. All the books on food I have are old, some very old.
    Cookbooks of today seem to be made for... lying around on coffee tables rather than being used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm no expert either, but in Scotland the things that people refer to south of the border as "drop scones" are simply called "pancakes". They are about 2inches in diameter at the most and not the large ones that you get on Shrove Tuesday, althiugh I think those too would be called pancakes.
    I never see potato pancakes anywhere now but I used to enjoy these.
    In Wales they have these thibgs called Welsh Cakes which look a bit like drop scones but they are drier and less rubbery than the Scottish pancakes and they have fruit in them. I think they're actually rather dull and a great diappointment if you are expecting a cake.
    In comics, crumpets always looked large, thin and floppy but the ones you buy in plastic packs are thick. They are extremely rubbery but not unpleasant.
    Hvae only heard of pikelet;never seen it.
    Have never seen a real muffin. I am a bit disappounted that muffin has just come to mean an over-sized, over-flavoured fairy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a pikelet in the picture, it's only a thin crumpet. Crumpets are cooked in a metal ring or rings on a hot griddle, whilst pikelets are just "dropped" onto it and left to spread.
    You can still buy real muffins from Bakers up't north....look out for them, they're nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for explaining.I will certainly look out for real muffins when I next get the chance.

    This will probably be all comments for today. I know I have more posts to look at too. Will do that sometime, promise.

    ReplyDelete