Sunday, 30 August 2009

A Lack of Water


A non musical bit today.....not even an old mill by this stream!

"You’ve never finished working in a garden,
Until ’tis time for you to go to bed.
You’re either squirting soapsuds on the roses,
Or picking out the pansies that are dead."

.
.
Once a year I have that awful job of clearing out the ponds.
Years ago I built a series of ponds, seven, in fact.....only small, but each overflowed into the next in a sort of cascade.
The lowest had the pump in it and water was transferred up to the highest..No 7.
Well, that was the theory at least!
All those Iris roots (above) have to be got out and thrown away.

But, where has all the water gone?

.
.
Just look how much growth there is in a year.

Now here is the source of the lack of water. Apples falling off the tree above float down to the next fall and block it.

.
.

"Perennials are the ones that grow like weeds,
Biennials are the ones that die this year instead of next
And hardy annuals are the ones that never come up at all."


.
.
Ah, that's better.....water on the move again.

"Kipper had a garden,
And he tended it with care.
He took a can ....and watered it,
Each slug and snail....he slaughtered it;
There were no greenfly there.
He scratched and scraped it with a hoe;
There were no seeds he didn’t sow,
Yet somehow ......only weeds would grow!"
.

5 comments:

  1. That's the trouble with ponds, they create so much work. But the best part is that they provide the inspiration for an amusing post. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The result looks well worth the effort :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for being polite...
    but....look at my next post to see the way it used to be.
    Cheers......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way it used to be is lovely, I bet you really enjoyed it. Now that it's in a more wild state, the wildlife probably thinks it's grand. I'd love to have a stream in my backyard, but it would have to be entirely concrete. Our soil is so sandy the water would just disappear, then one day a corner of the house would sag into the hidden bog. A pond would be wonderful, too, with goldfish! But they'd probably just be dinner to a rascal raccoon. Oh my, it must be fall, the season of pessimism. I'll just wander back to my own blog now. Bye! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jan, You would be surprised how much wildlife I get. I can't clean the ponds in the spring when I really need to, because they are full of tadpoles. I have to wait until they are frogs and have hopped off!
    All the ponds have liners so the water does not soak away, and to have fish the ponds need to be 18" deep so the fish can go down to the bottom in winter.

    ReplyDelete