.
Nothing is safe from the ever growing power of the undemocratic eu.
Better lock up your daughters!
A couple of days ago it was washing machines and light bulbs......today electric kettles.
Officials from the energy and transport group are now studying coffee machines, mixers and vacuum cleaners with a view to making them more efficient.
Even the kettle is under intense scrutiny, with plans for a study into improving its energy efficiency. It is thought that researchers will look at kettles that heat a set number of cups.
Domestic Appliance Manufacturers said:
“Kettles are already as efficient as possible.
The only improvement would be not to have them at all.”
I feel a song coming on:
.
.
There’s a Cuckoo clock to greet me on the mantel,
A dog that lies contented at my feet’
A cosy easy chair to rock away my care
And just to make the picture quite complete…..
Oh! The old kitchen kettle keeps singing a song,
Singing a song for me.
And as long as the kettle keeps singing a song,
I’m happy as can be.
I have my ups, I have my downs,
But I keep smiling when the whole world frowns,
‘Cos the old kitchen kettle keeps singing a song,
Singing a song for me.
Now I know you do not need a picture to show what a kettle looks like, but this one below is special.
It was given to my mother as a wedding present during WW2 so that makes it 69 years old and still going strong. I still have it on the stove and it is very useful during power cuts.
.
.
When Grandma put the kettle on
So many years ago,
She reached towards a heavy range…
With black-lead all aglow
Where hung an iron kettle, filled
With water from the spring.
She stoked the fire and waited for
The kettle there to sing.
In later years when Mother said
“Let’s make a cup of tea”,
Her hands embraced a kettle made
Of copper bright, maybe;
Or even humble ‘tin’…but filled
From freely running taps.
She put her kettle on a jet
Of brightly burning gas.
Today, we put the kettle on
By plugging to a point.
No weary journeys to a pump;
No straining every joint.
But come what may - be kettles made
Of iron, or plated chrome,
In mansion or in cottage fair…
The kettle speaks of home.
.

They don't make kettles like that any more, how lovely that you still have it in your possession.
ReplyDeleteWow, that kettle has done well! I keep meaning to get myself one of those, very useful in a powercut, and winter is on its way :-)
ReplyDeleteSomehow this reminds me of that movie, Kitchen Stories, wherein the cooking habits of Scandinavian bachelors were studied and recorded.
ReplyDeleteThank you all for comments.
ReplyDeleteI love to keep things; I can't bare to part with bits of my past.
If you watch these programs like "Money in the attic", people are selling off family heirlooms to fund a 2 week holiday!
Not for me..I prefer to keep what I can. I have a load of Mom's original kitchen bits...even our original "Chip Pan".