Wednesday, 28 October 2009

"And lightly skims the midge"

.
.
The painting that I did on the organ front was done from a print as you may have guessed.
As attractive as Henley is, there was no way I could have sat on the tow-path and have produced an acceptable scene.
.
.

To Henley tower and town;
And "Boats for Hire" the rafters ring,
And pink on white the roses cling,
And red the bright geraniums swing
In baskets dangling down.
.
.
I see the winding water make
A short and then a shorter lake
As here stand I
And house-boat high
Survey the Upper Thames.

It was supposed to be a nice day but it remained overcast and grey all morning.

.
.
What have we here .....a headless Cormorant putting his wings out to dry.

.
.
Ah....that's better.

Sorry about the 'plastic boat in the background, but I needed the white reflection in the water to get the bird to stand out.

Across the waste of waters die,
And low the mists of evening lie
And lightly skims the midge.

Verses......John Betjeman.
.
.

10 comments:

  1. It's years since I visited Henley but my memory has retained the scenery. Good to see some of John Bejeman's words too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your artwork is gorgeous Bernard, you must be very proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, in total agreement with Kath, a beautiful painting and quite stylistically appropriate.

    On the other hand, I see I've been out-swanned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Val, The riverside is still very nice but the town, or should I say the shops are different every time I go.

    Thanks Kath and Deb, you are right I was trying to get a sort of 'Fairground' style rather than a picture for the wall. The hardest thing was painting in a
    'figure eight' frame rather than a standard rectangle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cherie, I think you may have seen the painting before.....I was showing here the real thing at Henley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say, I did my driving test in Henley. Apparently there is just one road in the whole town, where a 3 point turn is impossible, so one has to excecute the manoever in 5 goes, that's the one my examiner chose for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And of course....you passed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankfully, I did. One more winter on my little moped, with icicles in my eyelashes, wasn't an option!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Icicles on bicycles"....I like it!

    ReplyDelete