.
"You should try the Somerset levels Bernard, lovely and quiet, especially if you're a bird spotter."
Thanks Kath, for todays idea.
Here's your starter for One. ....Which song are these words from?
I’m the cat that’s got the cream,
Haven’t got a girl,
But I can dream,
Haven’t got a girl,
But I can wish, so I take me down to Main Street
And that’s where I select my imaginary dish!
Standing on the corner watching all the girls go by.
Standing on the corner giving all the girls the eye.
Not the sort of thing us pensioners get up to anymore.
However this bit from the news caught my eye as it is yet another bit of 'useless research'.
The ‘average’ man will spend almost 43 minutes a day staring at 10 different women.
That adds up to 259 hours - almost 11 days - each year for heavens sake!
Who on earth is an ‘average’ man?
The ladies only ’sneak a peek’ then….
But researchers found that the males of the species are not the only ones admiring the opposite sex as women sneak a peek at six men for just over 20 minutes a day, on average.
Mark Ireland, spokesman for Kodak Lens Vision Centres, which carried out the poll, said: "Men are renowned for looking at women but it's interesting to find out exactly how long they spend eyeing girls up.
The poll of 3,000 people revealed the supermarket as the location for the most ogling, followed by a pub and nightclub.
But whilst the majority of men and women feel flattered at being gazed at, men are more likely to enjoy it with 19 per cent saying it makes them feel happy, compared to just 9 per cent of women.
Instead, 16 per cent of girls are just left feeling uncomfortable, while 20 per cent say it embarrasses them.
Strange that they should be embarrassed……why do they spend so much time and money on making themselves attractive only to feel embarrassed when they are admired……
.....I suppose there is a big difference between being ogled and admired.
I believe the song was also sung by a Canadian group called "The Four Lads" and was released in March 1956, becoming a hit in the British pop parade circa 1960.
.

20 minutes, good gracious I must check my timing!
ReplyDeleteHow flattered I am that you find me inspirational! ha ha...One lady I look after, is 87 and still likes to admire the fellas, she says you can still look at the menu, even if youre on a diet :D
ReplyDeleteKath
Not that this is relevant to your post, but just to say I went to Kath's blog and really liked it, and just to say also that she is in the Chilterns, as you will knonw, and to ask do you know her? I dread someone I know discovering my blog and reading all the horrid things I've said.
ReplyDeleteI have come out a little more today and put myself as a public follower on a few blogs.
Val, I can't believe that ladies would spend 3 minutes looking at one man. (6 in 20min is about 3min/man).
ReplyDeleteWell, TV/film personalities maybe, but not Mr Average in a supermarket!
Gosh Kath, 87 and an eye on the lads!
She's twenty years older than me!
Perhaps I shouldn't give up after all.
I guessed you might like it Foody.
Chiltern Hills cover quite a large area, actually from Goring in the west to Ivinghoe Beacon in the east. We have no idea where each of us live and have of course never met. We know/visit the same places and use the same shops I guess.
She tells me she used to ride her pony/horse along in the woods opposite Bourne End (My post on Winter Hill).
Foody, if I can't guess where you are, I'm sure nobody else will.
I did notice that little extra pic among my followers (and I expect Kath will as well)...welcome.
Cheers......Bernard
Ah Foody, Bernard and I are just "Strangers in the night" (another Blog post coming on)or should I say "Strangers in the Chilterns".Although between you and I, Millets Farm garden centre at the end of November might be the venue of our first vendez-vous! I'm not sure how Bernard came across my Blog, but I am really enjoying his! Well Foody, I'm happy you came to visit my Blog, get the kettle on, I'm coming over to see you next! Kath
ReplyDeleteI guess it depends on who is doing the ogling as to whether a girl would like it or not.
ReplyDeleteKath, I got the date wrong. A grinder friend tells me the date is Sat 14 Nov. Millets Farm has web site so I'd better check. I found your blog from your bit on Lord Carrington's Water gardens at Bledlow.
ReplyDeleteFoody and I started blogging at the same time in January 09 and we have
kept up 'commenting' ever since.
Hi Cherie, I don't actually like the word 'ogle'. It's a bit like 'leering' isn't it. Even if he was a 'tall, dark, handsome stranger', I'm sure you would prefer to be admired rather than ogled.
I don't like that word either. Your mention of girls being embarrassed made me think of it and wonder it that was what was happening to those girls?
ReplyDeleteOh yes it is always lovely to be admired :-)
Oh Bernard, that's a shame, as it clashes with our trip to Glastonbury carnival. We were lookin forward to being able to cheer you on! Kath
ReplyDeleteAnother time perhaps? I expect to put up some photo's though.
ReplyDelete