.
“The idea of 'collections' of media has been central for as long as there have been books, films and music. But once data can be stored in the ‘cloud’ and accessed by your device whenever you need it, the idea of 'owning' something starts to seem strange.”
To be honest the above statement is the thing that seems strange.
I am always hearing of people who have ‘lost everything’ when their ‘device’ crashes!
.

.
I love books, especially old books, hard books, musty books, real books.
My belief is that if you can't read all your books, at any rate handle them, or as it were fondle them.
Peer into them, let them fall open where they will, read from the first sentence that arrests the eye, set them back on the shelves with your own hands, arrange them on your own plan so that if you don’t know what is in them, you at least know where they are.
Let them be your friends, let them at any-rate be your acquaintances.
.
.
Just one of Bernard's libraries.
It has been estimated that 15 years ago, there were about 3,000 second-hand and antiquarian bookshops in Britain. By 2004, there were only about 1,500 left. Everyone in the trade knows someone who has had to close.
So what is happening to those wonderful old musty bookshops. Yes, many are going out of business.
In contrast, Oxfam opened its first bookshop in St Giles, Oxford, in 1987. Today, it has 130 outlets in Britain.
Last year, Oxfam made £19 million from selling books.
Its website boasts that it is selling around 11 million books a year. As a charity, it gets an 80 per cent reduction in business rates. It doesn't have to pay for stock and it attracts thousands of volunteers.
So we can pity these veterans of the trade, who say that they are struggling against the growing professionalism of charity bookshops like Oxfam (described by one disgruntled owner as the "Tesco of second-hand books"). Traditional booksellers have already faced many challenges: the explosion of online competition, increases in rent and rates, and the painstaking rise of the ‘Elf ‘n Safety culture, which has a deep-seated mistrust of the even the step-ladder.
Experience, atmosphere and dedication are all qualities that second-hand bookshops have in abundance, and which customers will continue to value. As long as second-hand bookshops can both adapt and hold on to their traditional strengths, I think customers will be found to keep them alive.
Just a thought.
"Here, in one of the world's most advanced societies, the level of illiteracy among schoolchildren is astonishing. This year, nearly a quarter of a million children left primary school unable to read, properly.”
.

For real books versus electronic, I couldn't agree more. They are so much easier to search through and how could you snuggle up in bed with a computer?
ReplyDeleteI love books too, and second hand bookshops.
There's somethiing about the smell of old books too.
I could go on.
Love your library!
"A home without books is a body without soul", I'm with Marcus Tullius Cicero on that one. What a lovely collection Bernard, I'd love to browse your shelves! Kath
ReplyDeleteI'm with Kath, a home without books is a home without soul, perfect and my home was a veritable library until recently decluttering when I had to make decisions based on when I last read something and when and if I would read it again.. the one's I would read again I am keeping, the others have fled the nest to a book swap where they will hopefully make someone else's day better.
ReplyDeleteWow...that was quick!
ReplyDeleteComments before I had even finished typing in a title. (I have now).
Foody...I believe Jan (Consume Gal) snuggles down with her 'Kindle', but I'm not sure where? I agree about that lovely smell.
An interesting thought Kath.
I shall post up a better view of some of them for you.
Hi Sage, It must be that my home has plenty of soul, as I have even more books than I have shown. Clock books in the lounge, cookery books in the kitchen and music and poetry is in the front room with the organ and piano etc.
Glad to hear that you have not thrown your excess books out and that they have gone to good homes.
Thanks all......cheers..Bernard
..and i love your little library steps! I have one of those funny chairs that tips up into steps...
ReplyDeleteYep, I snuggle with my Kindle. I absolutely love it. I used to have a lot of books, but living in a farm community, there's lots of dust. Cleaning was a real chore. I always wanted a "library," a room lined with shelves and filled with books. Then I married a man with a monumental crap collection and I boxed my books to make room for his junk. When he finally moved out 22 years later and took it all with him, I decided to live a simpler life. So I gave the books to other people. I still love books, I love the pictures of your library.
ReplyDeleteMy Kindle has a red leather cover. It smells great. It has no binding to crack, I can make the type bigger or smaller, I can carry all my books with me in my purse. The best thing is when I fall asleep reading it, I don't lose my page and it doesn't fall over and smack me in the face. Cosumne Gal (it's an Indian word that means "people of the salmon" and is the name of the river I live next to).
Oh, and one more thing. I work for a company called "Reading Lions." We train teachers about the best ways to teach young children to read, so I deal with aspects of the reading problem every day. I discovered with my own son, who is dyslexic, that kids don't have to READ a book to enjoy literature. He has an extensive collection of classic books on tape and can hobnob with the best of us.
ReplyDeleteI was looking for one of those Kath, but the 'antique' ones were very expensive.
ReplyDeleteHello Jan,
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely long comments. Thank you. First off, sorry I missed the n out of Consumne. I'm missing letters out all the time....I must have a dickie keyboard.
I think the Kindle is a great idea, much lighter that a book. Ideal for travelling etc. I would, however, not like to see it replace books.
When you fall asleep reading it, I hope it turns itself off after a while and I also hope you don't roll over on it and press the delete button!
All, well nearly all, of my books are factual, reference and non-fiction. I cannot hold my concentration on a long story book and I, like your son, have a large collection of 'talking books'. I just love to sit back and let someone else read me a story.
We seem to have a problem here with teaching children to read. Half the problem is that they keep changing the way they are taught. Too much TV also doesn't help either.
Cheers......Bernard
I would never choose to read a book electronically. There is nothing quite like handling a book a flicking through the pages.
ReplyDeleteI went into Barter Books in Alniwick when I was on my holidays, it has an enormous selection of second hand books.
Hi Cherie, They suit some people I guess. Easy to carry on the plane, train etc. Jan says you can enlarge the print, so that could be useful for those who have difficulty with ordinary print. Did you come back loaded up?
ReplyDeleteNo I was well behaved I had already bought too many books recently ;-)
ReplyDeleteI forgot to mention I do like listening to audio books, especially in the car.
Me too.
ReplyDeleteAh books! They'll never be replaced by anything.Some of mine have done the big journey three times and finally come to rest.Their dust would be interesting if analysed by them elf'n'safety people.
ReplyDeleteOld books will never be replaced but I fear newly published books could end up one day only being available on these electronic readers.
ReplyDeleteI expect you notice I have moderation ON, on comments on posts over one week old. This is simply because in the past I kept missing them.