.
From my local paper this week.......
Giant Bread and Butter Pudding found in High Wycombe
The record-breaking dessert weighed in at a 3,300lb and measured 7ft by 5ft.
A team of seven bread experts from Hovis worked for 49 hours to prepare and bake the giant pudding.
.
.
Ingredients included more than 1,000 slices of bread, 70 apples and 56 eggs.
The giant variation of one of Britain's favourite and most traditional puddings was created to celebrate 'British Food Fortnight'.
The dish was prepared and cooked at the Hovis test bakery in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
But those wishing for a sample will be left disappointed as it was devoured by staff.
'British Food Fortnight'?....... I don't remember reading or hearing much about this on the news.
Perhaps it is one of those things this government wants kept 'low key'.
Nanny state again....high fat....too much salt.....far too patriotic!
My mother used to make us Bread 'n Butter Puddings, probably every week to use up the 'stale' bread (not mouldy bread ....just dry). Whether she used real butter, I know not, as it was probably still on ration. I expect it was that new fangled margarine....and eggs? They were in short supply as well, but there were load of currants in them, I do remember that.
Pam Ayres summed it up....
Oh bring back the roly poly pudding,
Bread and butter pudding..... Spotted Dick!
Great big jugs full up of yellow custard,
That's the sort of pudding I would pick.
And as music about bread puddings is as rare as hen's teeth I'll finish with a couple of 'bread related' ditties........
When all of a sudden
A chunk of bread puddin’
Cam flyin' through the air
It hit poor auld Nelly
A shot in the belly
And knocked her tae the flair.
The boy stood in the dining room
Whence all but he had fled,
It was his hundredth cup of tea
Nine-hundredth piece of bread.
“Just one more crust before I bust”,
He cried in essence wild,
“Just one more crust before I bust”,
He was a vulgar child.
Then came a bang! Like a thunderclap,
The boy … oh, where was he?
No one knows except the maid
Who mops up the bread and tea!
.

When we were little my Mum used to sing "All of sudden, a bloomin great puddin, came flying through the air, it hit me Ma, it hit me Pa and knocked him over the chair", or similar words. Do you think it was her personal version of this ditty? Kath
ReplyDeleteYes...yes...yes, but does anyone know the name of the tune that they used to sing it to? It is very similar to MacNamara's Band...don't you think?
ReplyDeleteWords varied all over the country. They were never written down, always passed on by word of mouth and so varied from generation to generation.
BUT have we come to the end?
I have just read today, that children are not even being taught nursery rhymes in case it upsets them!!!!
I heard nothing in the press about British Food Fortnight either. Hmph. When was it?
ReplyDeleteI love the sound of the giant puddings. Reminds me of programmes I've seen about Spain when they do these huge paellas and things outside.
There are lots of recipes for different sorts of B&B pudding, like chocolate and orange etc etc but I think the more basic, the better.
Please don't make me want more puds. I've been telling myself since late August that it's time for another crash diet and but can't make myself do it.
Hi Foody, I heard nothing also. It must have been these last two weeks.
ReplyDeleteI too like 'basic' recipes. I always miss out any 'trendy' ingredients that they try to sneak in.