Saturday, 31 October 2009

Cider, Songs and S......?

.
Well here we are again at the end of October and for the last two weeks the shops, and especially Asda, have been full of ‘tat’ for the children. The tills have been ringing and of course in this day and age, that is all that matters. Five hundred years ago the celebrations would have been for very different reasons.
The ancient feasts to mark summer’s end or the end of the Celtic year gave rise to a cluster of customs collectively called Hallowtide. The medieval church denounced these as diabolic and supplied its own sanctified versions in the form of All Saints Day (November 1) and All Soul's Day (November 2).

It was widely believed in early days that the souls of the departed needed sustenance and in England special “Soul Cakes” have been made for centuries.
Now ‘Souling’ or ’Soul-Caking, where children visit other houses requesting cakes or other small gifts, is, or should be accompanied by traditional songs.

Soul, Soul, for a Soul-Cake,
I pray you, good missus a Soul-Cake!
An apple, a pear, a plum or a cherry,
Or any good thing to make us all merry.
One for Peter, Two for Paul,
Three for Them who made us all.
Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
Give us good alms and we’ll be gone.

.
.
Not wishing to miss out on a good ‘sing song’ and a ‘tipple’ or two, perhaps after a couple of glasses of ‘Lamb’s Wool’ I might just join in.

"Lamb's Wool" ?

Yes, a heady concoction of cider, the pulp of roast apples, sugar and spices stirred well until the brew froths up like the fleece of a lamb.

Take 4 large Cox’s Orange Pippins, slit the skins around the centre of each and core them. Bake on a tray in a moderate oven until soft and pulpy.
Heat 3 pints of strong cider with spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger) and lemon rinds in a large pan….not too hot or you will drive off the alcohol.
Remove skin from roast apples and mash well. Add to pot, with more cider and sugar to taste. Remove any bits of peel etc. that you don’t fancy and then whip the mixture until it froths up.

What you do then is up to you!!!!


.
.
Glow-in-the-dark lingerie!

The designs are the brainchild of Australian Jan Hawley.
She said: "In this range the underwear is much smaller and sexier. We've called it the Boudoir collection because it's strictly for the bedroom after dark.
"When the lights go out, the lace on the bra and knickers glow beautifully"

Could come in useful I suppose when you come home from the Pub after four pints of Lamb's Wool?

Or perhaps not?
.

11 comments:

  1. Oh to find a good Cox's Orange Pippin,I do miss them! Used to buy a case and a Stilton every Christmas way back when.Delcious.
    You didn't need glow in the dark undies in those days, it was the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I like the sound of the cider recipe, being a cider-gal. I'm off down to Somerset in a week or 2 and will bring back some extra to make your brew...or would that be sacriledge? Shall I drink the good stuff and use Supermarket cider for the brew, as they say "please advise".
    ps I had some light-up-in-the-dark undies, but threw them out after a plane tried to land on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Liz,
    I was just this very minute reading about your roses. I have two Climbing Cecile Brunner going wild over my pergola. Of course here they are on the way out now.
    I am surprised that you don't grow Cox's out there...or even have them shipped out. After all, we get inundated with NZ Braeburn's here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kath,
    No don't use supermarket cider. It's all fizz and full of 'nasties'.
    My recipe says..."Use a really good local cider if you can". You will get the real apple flavour then. Do not over-heat it though. I forgot to mention the sugar is 'soft dark brown'.
    PS You shouldn't go wandering around Heathrow in your undies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All you male bloggers are showing the glow in the dark lingeie...I have no idea why!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my case the theme today was "Wine, Women and Song".
    So the nearest I could get was "Cider, Lingerie and Song".

    I had thought of doing it with:-
    "Show me the Way to go Home, I'm tired and I want to go to Bed".

    Perhaps it's because we all read the same papers in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that scene from Jaws, when Chief Brody, Quint and Hooper were down below, they'd "had a little drink" and singing that song when Jaws started ramming the boat...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was reading down you post about all the old customs when someone distracted me and I looked up from the computer. When I turned back I saw the lingerie and had to remember exactly which blog I was on. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know Kath, I have to admit I have lived a sheltered life...and 'Jaws' is one of many films I have not seen. Even to this day, I cannot sit for more than half an hour...I'm a terrible fidget.

    Hey CherryPie, I hope I'm not getting a bad reputation amongst my readers?
    Actually you are right...I've done a wee bit too much on the undies perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are too lovely and Gentlemanly to have a bad reputation with your readers.

    This is the only undies post I remember from you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did a bit on the Can-can if you remember. LOL

    ReplyDelete