.

.
She was the Blacksmith's daughter, I was the village swain,
We never did our courting, down any old country lane...
.....'twas
Under the spreading Chestnut tree
This song, from 1938, was described as "A Novelty Singing Dance Sensation" and came complete with instructions on the strange antics to be performed. If you used to watch "Dad's Army" you may remember the whole platoon doing these actions to keep their spirits up whilst awaiting rescue from a trapped building.
Ah, autumn, the smell of burning leaves and.......playing conkers.
.
.
Poulton village hall in Gloucestershire is not only content with being the location for the International Conker Festival, but is also, a bulwark against the malign edicts of ‘Elf ‘n Safety.
In 2004 one school banned conkers because of fears of nut allergies! Another school said that the horse chestnut could be considered an offensive weapon. Cummersdale Primary in Cumbria lets children play, but they have to wear goggles. In reality the number of bans has been small, and the ‘Elf ‘n Safety Executive has publicly backed the game. But they have contributed to a sense that traditional pursuits are under threat.
But back in Poulton there is cider in one corner, real ale in the other and in between, refereed by the local Conservative councillor, a dozen teams ready to battle it out for the Poulton conker shield.
Who is to be this years champion?
.
.
What makes a good conker?
Size: A bigger conker may seem like a sure bet, but it could be prone to splitting. Big or small, it is hard to know exactly how dense an individual conker is unless you X-ray it. One that looks like a glossy killer on the outside may well contain structural flaws inside
Weight: Small, hard conkers are considered the best. You can cheat by storing last season’s conkers for a year, giving them plenty of time to become rock-like. These “laggies” are frowned on in competition
Hardness: Ploys to increase hardness include baking your conker in the oven, coating it in nail varnish or soaking it in vinegar. All of these methods will armour-plate your conkers, but don’t enter competitions with them — the organisers of the World Conker Championships consider it cheating
The hole: Often overlooked, the hole you drill through your conker will likely be its Achilles’ heel. Conkers tend to break along fault lines that begin as small nicks in an uneven string hole. For the best results, clamp the conker lightly in a vice and carefully bore out a medium-sized hole using a drill
.
Now you know.
See you all in Poulten next year.
.

Hey Bernard, is that your good self modelling the fetching Conker-wig? Kath
ReplyDeleteNo 'fraid not. You can usually find me hiding under a parasol wearing dark glasses as here:-
ReplyDeletemonkey-organ.blogspot.com/2009/06/grand-day-out.html
Cheers.....Bernard
Very dashing! K
ReplyDeleteLove the picture with the tree in it :-)
ReplyDeleteThat's the saddest thing I've heard in a long time..conkers should be left alone.Where have childish pleasures gone? Glad to see not entirely forgotten..Go Conkerers!
ReplyDeleteOur Health and Safety people get up to all sorts of ludicrous banning over here. I read about something being banned nearly every day.
ReplyDeleteI think a few of my readers wish I didn't keep going on about it!
Cheers......Bernard
You know what I think about conkers being banned. I never heard of any child actually being hurt by playing conkers. Their hands and wrists got whacked by accident if the opponent missed the conker, but that was all taken in stride and was just an accepted risk. Nut allergies indeed! Who said anything about eating the things? Aren't horse chestnuts poisonous to eat anyway, so if they did try to eat them the problem would be far more wdespread. This is just groundless fear based on total ignorance.Grrr.
ReplyDeletePoisonous? Our school bus stop was under our neighbor's spreading chestnut tree. We used to pick them up and take dozens to school and pass them out. All of the kids would sit and peel the things during class, flicking fuzz everywhere, and munch on them. None of us died. We didn't throw them at each other, though, they were too tasty. We threw dirt clods, instead (farm kids' weapons of choice).
ReplyDeleteI love the tree picture. The trees haven't turned color here yet, but it is getting nippy at night.
Hi Cherie, I'm sorry I missed your comment earlier. It is good...not one of mine though.Not sure where I found it or who took it.
ReplyDeleteI think I did a bit on conkers some months ago, I can't remember why but I expect it was H&S again.
Now, Foody thinks they are poisonous and Jan used to eat them. So we may have our Chestnuts mixed up?
I will do a blog to clear things up
Thanks both for your comments.