Monday, 5 October 2009

From a 1934 'Fag' Packet

.
I could spend hours raking around in antique shops and flea markets. The only trouble is, if I spot something attractive and cheap, I usually end up buying it, even though I have no foreseeable use for it.
.
.
This was the case with these artistic little cameos. These intricately designed “silks” were brought out by J. Wix & Sons Ltd., of London, manufacturers of Kesitas cigarettes in the 1930’s.
The colourful and beautiful woven first series of flowers, issued in 1934, ran to 60 in total, and a full set in good condition was recently valued for £1200.
I found 16, and they cost me £2.50. A long way off a full set….but I liked them.
.
.
On the back of the packet was the message: “Why do we give you these inserts? Because Tobacco is a plant and we want you to realise that only the finest Virginia Tobacco is used in Kensitas. The clean centre leaves. These are the mildest leaves. They cost more. They taste better”.
They recommended that the delicate weavings could be protected by keeping them in a special little album available from J. Wix, post free, at the cost of one shilling.


"Cigarettes and Whiskey and Wild, Wild Women" was the music I was looking for. Could I find it? Nope.
It must be a Country & Western song or is it from a show? I'll have to look it up another time.

So here is a bit of 'Olde English'
.
.
Tobacco’s but an Indian weed,
Grows green at morn, cut down at eve;
It shows our decay,
We are but clay;
Think of this when you smoke tobacco.

The ashes that are left behind,
Do serve to put us all in mind
That unto dust
Return we must;
Think of this when you smoke tobacco.
.

7 comments:

  1. They really are lovely.
    Possible uses: Frame them and put them on the wall or use a stand-up frame as a fire screen;
    Sew them together for a cushion cover and stuff the cushion with nice smelling stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavens Foody, what makes you think I can sew?
    They are only about 1.5"x 2", and as there only 16, it might be a tiny cushion. However thanks for the suggestions. Picturing framing is probably the best idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for your B'day greetings Bernard. Actually it is today, so you are not belated.
    Yes, I agree about the milk bottles, I used to love laying in bed as a child, hearing the hum of the electric milk float, the whistling of the milkman and the sheery "clink" of the bottles. Alas, I don't recall running out with a jug to have the Milkman fill it from a churn on his horse-drawn cart! Kath

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you had to buy those, they are lovely :-)

    I hope you manage to find out who did that original music, you have got me curious now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kath, hope you had a great day.
    When I was a lad and played marbles, we used to mould milk-bottle tops over them, like little 'hats'. Then when you rolled them they took their little 'hat' with them. Happy days?

    Far more attractive than cigarette cards, Cherie. I have never smoked so never had the chance to collect things like this.
    Still don't know the source of the tune....but that old chap who just died aged 113...said his long life was thanks to "Cigaretts etc."!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're very beautiful,how wise not to pass them by!Do you have to do anything with them,isn't just looking and admiring enough?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi GB, Thank you for dropping in.
    They are nice as they stand...but they spend most of their time tucked away out of sight in a drawer.
    Cheers......Bernard

    ReplyDelete