.
I have just popped two pieces of oxtail into my slo-cooker to simmer away all day. The pack contained just the two chunks and put me back £2.40.
Now I don't know exactly how many knobbly joints an ox has in its tail....but lets say twelve of the largest with enough meat on them for cooking.
That makes the tail worth £14.40......just think how much a whole ruddy ox is worth?
And do you know it's classed as offal.....and that always used to be fairly cheap.
Do you want to see a picture of an oxtail?.....No.
Do I have any music about an oxtail?......No.
However there was a song published during WW1 about giving up meat to help the war effort.
I also read earlier this year that:-
"The Belgian city of Ghent is about to become the first in the world to go vegetarian at least once a week.
Starting this week there will be a regular weekly meatless day, in which civil servants and elected councillors will opt for vegetarian meals.
Ghent means to recognise the impact of livestock on the environment.
The UN says livestock is responsible for nearly one-fifth of global greenhouse gas emissions, hence Ghent's declaration of a weekly "veggie day".
Public officials and politicians will be the first to give up meat for a day."
Whilst I have nothing against vegetarian beliefs, I do hope this sort of this does not spread as part of this 'global warming' hoax.
Now back to the song......it was a long one, so here is just a knobbly bit.
For just one day a week, it's true,
I helps to win the War I do,
I don't sell flags about the street
I go without my piece of meat
And as I pass the butchers' shops,
I hear them shout "Buy, buy"
I draws me belt in four more holes
And sadly I reply.
It's my meatless day,
My meatless day
I'm not going to eat,
any sort of meat, meat, meat, meat.
As a farmer's boy, I lived near York,
On the day the pig died, we had pork,
Next day the old cow died and we
Had beef for breakfast, dinner and tea,
We had mutton when the sheep pegged out,
We all got overfed
Next day the Farmer's missus died
and this is what I said.
It's my meatless day,
My meatless day
I'm not going to eat,
any sort of meat, meat, meat, meat.

I love my slo-cooker, I have not eaten ox-tail for years, but I will make a point of buying some, now you have reminded me.Our offally treat is stuffed hearts.So cheap and delicious, although a fiddle if you dont care for the "tubes" and want to disect round them on your plate!
ReplyDeleteGoodness, I'd forgottena about oxtail. It's years since I had oxtail soup. Didn't it was offal. I heard about animals and their contribution to greenhouse gases, perhaps there is some truth in it but it sounds like more bandwagon jumping to me.
ReplyDeleteI think you should get partial credit on vegetarian day for eating something the ox could live without.
ReplyDeleteI love oxtail stew... long gone are the days of old when you could pick it up for a song, literally... but if you can find a good butcher to provide you with the poorer cuts it might be a bit cheaper... so many people see the tail as being something to avoid but it makes the most beautiful tenderest richest stew I have ever eaten.
ReplyDeleteMoving these clocks has upset my bio- rhythms! Sorry all, I completely missed all these comments.
ReplyDeleteI think offal has some of the very best flavours for those that don't mind eating it. Of course us 'War Babies' were brought up on it, and got used to, and ended up liking it.
I, like Kath, enjoy hearts but have you noticed that you only see lambs hearts for sale.(I prefer pigs)
I expect the Oxtail soup you can buy Val, contains very little oxtail. You can't beat home-made soup but at todays prices it would work out quite expensive.
Hi Jan.....is it vegetarian day in Sacaramento? I hope they don't start that here, I like my meat (except veal and lamb...which I wont eat on principle).
So, a vote for Oxtail has been carried unanimously.
Sage, you are right about the richest flavoured stew but I find it takes hours of cooking to get it tender (10 hours in the slo-cooker)
Cheers.....Bernard
Add my vote,couldn't survive Winter without it, as long as there's plenty of tomato and garlic in the pot.
ReplyDeleteI am not a garlic lover Liz. I can manage it with butter on "snails" but in all other cases I prefer to taste the flavour of the meat.
ReplyDelete