Great collection of books. I never thought of photographing mine. You have brought to mind an oldie of mine, a book that is as old as me and still loved. I may do a blog on it, with extracts. I'm a bit lazy about scanning so it may mean retypes.
Ooh, where do I join? That book on old county maps looks interesting, as well as the one on Clivedon. We used to go there a lot when my lad was a baby, to walk in the grounds. His Father was born there (not in the grounds!). By the way Bernard, how does one date an old book with no dates to be found about it's person? Kath
I find it very hard to part with books Val. I never get rid of a book which someone has bought me, they just have to stay. I have kept books from childhood, books from my teens, they have just been stacking up throughout my life.
Hi Kath, Born in Cliveden? Do you mean Taplow or Dropmore...or perhaps the Feathers? Although there are quite a few cottages in the grounds. I understand Joyce Grenfell used to live in one of them. As for dating books, I'm no expert but you could use the reference section at the British Library web site if you enter the title and author. I may do a bit ond old books since you mention it. PS For 20 years I worked at Taplow Court so know the area well. They have open days (free) during the summer. Usually the first Sunday in the month. (They have a web page.)
Hello Bernard, apparently it was in the Former Canadian Red Cross Memorial Hospital at Cliveden. My chair/step is just a repro, I bid on a set of library steps once at Bourne End auctions. Just as well I didn't end up with them, the room in this cottage are rather small and I would've spent all my time moving them from one place to another. At least the chair/step slides under the dining table when not in use.Thanks for the tips about dating old books!
What a lot of cookbooks. Book of Sausages, eh? That looks good. You obviously like offal. I agree that that oxtail sounds a bit pricey. I think offal is getting a bit trendy again, you know, which puts the price up. I have the Tower Slo Cook one. Was it the oxtail recipe yfrom there that you were using? I now neither you nor I are vegetarians, but veggie books I really, really (hee hee) loke are the Cranks ones.
You said o let you know about the autoharp. I had a quote of £195.00 including strings at £35. Maybe the instrument isn't worth that money but at least I'lll have soomethng workable if I spend it so I thought about the economics and told Alec to go ahead anyway. It won't work if I don't spend it I suppose. Will tell you when I get it back.
I should hire a van Cherie, or foget to take your credit card!
Hi Foody, it's more a collection out of interest, than a 'working' set. I guess I've being buying books out of curiosity for some 30 years, but on the subject of sausages...I would love to make my own. At least you would know what it was that went into them. My Kenwood has a sausage filling attachment...but where do you buy the skins to fill? Yes, I use the Tower book more than any other. All my soups (except mushroom) are made from their recipes.
£35 for the strings sounds very reasonable, but what was the rest of the money for? Was it in need of repair? I shall look forward to seeing the restored harp and be interested to hear how you get on with it.
A retired Mechanical Engineer living on the edge of the beautiful Chilterns, with an interest in things Musical. An Organ Grinder, without a real Monkey;.. but I do have a large collection of old sheet music which I enjoy playing and if possible arranging some of it for my little home-built, 26 note organ.
Baby Hedgehogs
-
Last Tuesday evening my neighbour, Jackie brought her Scottie and Jack
Russell for a walk up the lane past my house as she often did. She walked a
few...
The Potato Diet
-
Well ... did anyone see *it* last night? No. Thought not. if you want to
lose weight quickly for any reason - to fit better in that special dress is
favo...
Sunshine
-
A beautiful day here so off we go to get just the one geocache, as this is
a leap year there is a souvenir to be had if you find a geocache over the
weeken...
Merry Christmas One And All!
-
Dear Friends,
I am so, so sorry not to have blogged all year (I think). That isn't to say
I haven't thought about it and thought of all my Blogland frien...
BLACKBERRY FARM, AGAIN
-
I've finished the next batch of cat blankets for the RSPCA and will take
them to Quainton in a day or two. I'm gradually getting through my crate of
wool ...
Miss Meconopsis
-
I just have to post this pic - to introduce my visitor for the first time
ever in my garden - bought at the Malvern Show 2 years back and grown on in
a ce...
13 years ago
Save English Marriage
The state should get out of marriage completely. Offer Civil Partnerships to everybody who wants their relationship to be recognised for tax and other civil purposes, but leave it to others to "marry" people.
"Britain's top animal disease scientists have launched a devastating attack on the government's "mindless" badger cull, accusing ministers of failing to tell the truth and demanding the immediate abandonment of the killings. Even the government's own chief scientist has refused to back the killings."
Good News
Badger Cull Postponed
Hot off the Press
Back in the Seventies, just before we joined the Common Market, as the EU was called back then, The Who wrote that great song, "Won't get fooled again".
But in the last 40 years, we've been fooled time and time again. We were told our membership of Europe was about trade and opening up markets to British goods.
Instead we got political interference, endless rules and regulations, our fish stocks plundered and foreign criminals claiming the 'right to a family life' in Britain.
‘History shows that any power having an inflated ego usually ends badly’
Guess who?
John Smith
Just thinking aloud.
Norway and Switzerland - outside the EU - are the wealthiest countries in Europe. We aren't ... because we are paying £48 million a day into the EU, plus wasting money complying with their regulations; propping up the Euro and everything else. That will be going up to £60 millon a day in a year or so. Money well spent? Hah. We might just as well burn it.
Great collection of books. I never thought of photographing mine. You have brought to mind an oldie of mine, a book that is as old as me and still loved. I may do a blog on it, with extracts. I'm a bit lazy about scanning so it may mean retypes.
ReplyDeleteOoh, where do I join? That book on old county maps looks interesting, as well as the one on Clivedon. We used to go there a lot when my lad was a baby, to walk in the grounds. His Father was born there (not in the grounds!). By the way Bernard, how does one date an old book with no dates to be found about it's person? Kath
ReplyDeleteWhoops, I mean ClivedEn...
ReplyDeleteI find it very hard to part with books Val. I never get rid of a book which someone has bought me, they just have to stay. I have kept books from childhood, books from my teens, they have just been stacking up throughout my life.
ReplyDeleteHi Kath,
Born in Cliveden? Do you mean Taplow or Dropmore...or perhaps the Feathers? Although there are quite a few cottages in the grounds. I understand Joyce Grenfell used to live in one of them.
As for dating books, I'm no expert but you could use the reference section at the British Library web site if you enter the title and author. I may do a bit ond old books since you mention it.
PS For 20 years I worked at Taplow Court so know the area well. They have open days (free) during the summer. Usually the first Sunday in the month. (They have a web page.)
Hello Bernard, apparently it was in the Former Canadian Red Cross Memorial Hospital at Cliveden.
ReplyDeleteMy chair/step is just a repro, I bid on a set of library steps once at Bourne End auctions. Just as well I didn't end up with them, the room in this cottage are rather small and I would've spent all my time moving them from one place to another. At least the chair/step slides under the dining table when not in use.Thanks for the tips about dating old books!
What a lovely collection of books. I have books all over my house and all the bookshelves are full.
ReplyDeleteHi Bernard, this is just to say I copied you and did my blog on old books. Hope you can get to see it.
ReplyDeleteAh yes, Kath, I forgot the hospital, but it's all gone now....new houses.
ReplyDeleteMy shelves are full too, Cherie...but I still get tempted. Have you been to Hay-on-Wye....there's millions of books there!
Great minds think alike Val, I'll be over for a peek.
I have been there but it was a very long time ago. I really must go again soon. Maybe another excuse for a weekend away :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a lot of cookbooks. Book of Sausages, eh? That looks good. You obviously like offal. I agree that that oxtail sounds a bit pricey. I think offal is getting a bit trendy again, you know, which puts the price up.
ReplyDeleteI have the Tower Slo Cook one.
Was it the oxtail recipe yfrom there that you were using?
I now neither you nor I are vegetarians, but veggie books I really, really (hee hee) loke are the Cranks ones.
You said o let you know about the autoharp. I had a quote of £195.00 including strings at £35. Maybe the instrument isn't worth that money but at least I'lll have soomethng workable if I spend it so I thought about the economics and told Alec to go ahead anyway. It won't work if I don't spend it I suppose. Will tell you when I get it back.
I should hire a van Cherie, or foget to take your credit card!
ReplyDeleteHi Foody, it's more a collection out of interest, than a 'working' set.
I guess I've being buying books out of curiosity for some 30 years, but on the subject of sausages...I would love to make my own. At least you would know what it was that went into them. My Kenwood has a sausage filling attachment...but where do you buy the skins to fill?
Yes, I use the Tower book more than any other. All my soups (except mushroom) are made from their recipes.
£35 for the strings sounds very reasonable, but what was the rest of the money for? Was it in need of repair? I shall look forward to seeing the restored harp and be interested to hear how you get on with it.