.
I got a bit behind with blogging yesterday, as I was off to one of the last organ get-togethers for 2009. It was held this year for the first time at the Milton Keynes Museum, which I can heartily recommend. There was so much there to see and I was not able to get around in the time available (11 till 4.30).
.
.
Organs started coming in very early and up 'till midday the organ grinders outnumbered the visitors!
Above is the 'famous' John Smith, (in bowler hat) the designer of, maybe hundreds, of home built organs.
I bought my set of plans way back in 2002 and my 'licence to build' number is No 10. How many sets of plans have been sold and how many organs have been finished, is anybodies guess.
John tells me a lot of people give up half way through........Shame.
.
.
There were dozens of organs all over the site, suitably spaced out, so as to not interfere with each others playing. This one above is a 'ready made' organ sold by Alan Pell.
.
.
This next one above is another 'off the self' organ, this time from Germany. A Niemuth & Stuber made in Berlin.
I keep toying with the idea of getting myself a video camera, but......have more important things to pay for......like gas and electric bills etc.!
However, John Smith, shown below, is a regular poster over on YouTube.
.
He is seen here filming two concertina players......well not actually players......more an operator.
The concertinas are fully programmed to play tunes, simply by moving the bellows in and out.
Cheating.....yes, but fun!
.
PS Will show some of the museum exhibits another day.
.

Ah, my late Dad would have loved to see all those delightful organs. He loved fairground music and always had a yearning for a hurdy-gurdy, although I'm not quite sure what one looks like. Kath
ReplyDeleteNot only can I show you what they look like, Kath. I can put up a video on Tracker-Bar to let you hear one.
ReplyDeleteBe warned, these, like bagpipes, are not to everyone's taste.
What a great day out!! Lovely photos too,especially enjoy the first one.
ReplyDeleteAh I knew you would come up trumps...Im just of to view your video now. K
ReplyDeleteHi Elizabeth, You like the little car or the little organ?
ReplyDeleteActually that organ sounds very good. You can hear it playing on YouTube somewhere. I took loads of photos on Saturday but never like to overwhelm everyone.
Hi Kath, You have been warned!
The organs sound much nicer...but then I'm biased.
That sounds like a fantastic day out and thanks for the informative post :-)
ReplyDeleteA very good day. The museum was very good....I think you would have enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteCheers.....Bernard