.
My new 'bracers', or American 'suspenders', were covered in Union Flags and the strange thing was .....they were made in U.S of A.
I was going to blog on 'How China seems to make everything' and came across this little verse.
My cigar is made in Cuba
And my lighter in Peru.
My table’s made in Sweden,
My cruet set, in Corfu.
My towels are made in Turkey,
My sponge, in Mozambique.
My tapestry is made in France
And my rum in Martinique!
My sweater’s made in Iceland,
My toaster in Taiwan.
My tea is made in India
And sometimes Pakistan.
I’m waiting for the moment
I’ll be hanging out the flag…
As soon as I discover
A “Made in Britain” tag!
The only trouble is of course…
To leave me somewhat blue,
I’d likely find the flag I use
Was made in Timbuktu!
anon
That last mention of the Flag, reminded me that yesterday was Trafalgar Day and I had seen in the news that there was an auction of the last remaining Flag, (in private hands), that had been flown at the Battle of Trafalgar.
This pic. below is one from my collection of 'Song cards'.
.

.
The Flag, used by the Navy at the Battle of Trafalgar had been discovered in a drawer. It had been flown from the jackstaff of HMS Spartiate, one of Nelson’s warships, as the battle against the French navy raged 204 years ago this month.
The 11ft x 7ft (3.5m x 2.1m) Union Jack was made by the Spartiate’s crew from 31 bunting panels and is riddled with holes made by shot and shell splinters during the battle.
It had been in the captain’s family since the battle and was only expected to fetch up to £15,000 at auction.
But it sold for £384,000, including a buyer's premium of 20 per cent, at the Trafalgar Day Sale in London. The hammer price was £320,000.
But it sold for £384,000, including a buyer's premium of 20 per cent, at the Trafalgar Day Sale in London. The hammer price was £320,000.
.

.
It’s only a small bit of bunting,
It’s only an old coloured rag.
Yet thousands have died for its honour
And shed their best blood for the Flag.
.
But it's the most expensive bit of of bunting that I have ever heard of.
.

It’s only a small bit of bunting,
ReplyDeleteIt’s only an old coloured rag.
Yet thousands have died for its honour
And shed their best blood for the Flag.
So true. And where are we now? Does everyone still feel the pride?
I remember the first verse ... I'm now going to tour the house to check where everything was made!
When I was a lad, Birmingham was the 'Workshop of the World', and everything, right down to an electric plug had 'Made in England' on it.
ReplyDeleteNot 'Made in UK' or even 'Made in Britain'. No, it was good old England.
I often wonder what this country exports now?
Very few exports I should imagine. Even the cars firms are foreign owned. There's talk of Pinewood Studios taking over the Longbridge plant site. Ye Gods!
ReplyDeleteYeah but no but yeah but no but (Sorry KD, that comes from a TV character)
ReplyDeleteYes, but you can't expect a thing to say "made in Endgand" if it ain't made there. Maybe it was made in some other bit of Britain or of the UK. Hmmm so why doeasn't it specify? Oh, I dunno.
But you know, there used to be this TV for English cheese that used the Union Jack as its sign of having been made in England.That's a bit wrong, innit?
One of my oals says ALL Scotch whisky is now made in Japan but I don't believe him.
I think our coal comes from Poland and slate from Spain.
This country exports shellfish and ....em....maybe whisky if my pal is wrong.
Hi Val.
ReplyDeleteMy Grandfather worked at Austin, Longbridge for most of his life.
My Father at Cadbury's and now I read even they are under threat.
"Boardrooms on both sides of the Atlantic are preparing for a financial food fight.
In one corner there is Cadbury, the British brand with a social conscience started by Quakers nearly 200 years ago. In the other is Kraft, the US company that turned processed cheese into a multimillion-dollar empire.
I don't know the outcome.
I hope Cadbury's stand their ground. I used to work with some of the Cadbury family. It's such a shame that our traditional companies are bounced around in the financial market. If your grandfather could see Longbridge he'd break his heart.
ReplyDeleteHi Foody, sorry I completely forgot to go back to your place and leave a few words this morning. The above blog took longer than I thought.
ReplyDeleteThere is a big 'who-har' going on at the moment about foreign ingredients being used in pies and pasties made in Britain and being claimed as British! That is wrong as well.
I don't think you will find Scotch whisky is made outside Scotland. They use Scottish water in the production and it is this that gives each Brand its character.
You are right, coal comes from Poland but I was wondering, what do we manufacture here now?
Cheers......Bernard