.
This recent change in the weather from a very dry September to blustery October brough to mind the words from a lovely Irish lullaby.The October Winds lament around the Castle of Dromore,
Yet peace is in her lofty halls, my loving treasure store.
Tho' Autumn leaves may droop and die
A bud of Spring are you.
Sing hush-a-by lull-a-loo lo lan, Sing hush-a-by lull-a-loo.
.
.
As no-one knows for sure which Dromore Castle is referred to in the song, the above picture is of an anonymous Irish castle, which I thought had the right atmosphere for October.
There are three contenders for the claim, and the most popular choice seems to be the one at Blackwater Bridge near Kenmare on the ring of Kerry.
Apparently this one was built in the mid 1800's (c. 1840 or so) by a local Protestant family.
There are records extant of a visit by Harold Boulton to the family there and it is said (though this is not substantiated) that he wrote the song for the family as a thankyou after his visit.
I have both the Clancy brothers version & the Corries on old LP's.
.
.
And in contrast to to above October winds and today's rain, we have.....
One fine October morning,
In April, last July,
The moon lay thick upon the ground,
The snow shone in the sky.
The flowers were sweetly singing,
The birds were in full bloom;
As I went down to the cellar
To sweep an upstairs room.
One early Tuesday morning,
On Wednesday late at night,
I saw, ten thousand miles away,
A house just out of sight.
Its door projected inwards,
Its front was at the back,
It stood alone between two more,
And it was whitewashed black.
.

Wonderfully atmospheric photo Bernard. Kath
ReplyDeleteI can't remember where I found it, but did you know there are thousands of castles like this in Ireland. They are not as large as the ones you find here....they're more like large fortified homes.
ReplyDeleteYes.Knowing my itinerent lifestyle, you won't be suprised to learn that we lived in Ireland for a year! My Husband was seconded to the Dublin office (Bank of Ireland Euro conversion project). I always liked the Martello towers. I believe the James Joyce museum is housed in one at Sandymount. K
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to look around Ireland. It looks a fascinating place.
ReplyDeleteDid you tour with your horse drawn caravan?
Alas, no, we had a motorhome! K
ReplyDelete