Wednesday, 14 October 2009

"A Right Handed Stir-up"

.
No, it's alright......I do know what date it is......but.....
.
.
On visiting Foody’s blog on Monday, I read that she had been making her Christmas puddings.
I enquired if she had made wishes and stirred the mixture in the correct direction? And had she heard of “Stir-up Sunday”?
She had heard of the later and of the wishes, but did not know of the “direction of stirring”.
So I did a bit of research and found out that the Christmas pudding began as “plum porridge”….raisins, spices, meat broth and wine thickened with breadcrumbs. This mixture, with varying quantities of ingredients, evolved by the 17century, into the familiar solid pudding. In Sussex and many other English counties the day reserved for the making of the puddings and the important ceremony of stirring and wishing, was called “Stir-up Sunday”.
.
.
Indeed, in old prayer books, the Collect for the 25th Sunday after Trinity begins with the words “Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord”.
This is of course nothing to do with stirring a pudding, more of “….the wills of thy faithful people”.
As the Sundays of the church year are governed by the movability of Easter, Stir up Sunday does not fall on the same day each year.
Good, then I can mention it today as I have no idea when the 25th Sunday after Trinity is.
Foody said she had made nine puddings, but on reading further I discovered that she should have made thirteen.....one for each month of the year and an extra one, known as the "Judas" pudding. This last one was not eaten but left to moulder......unless a beggar was seen on Christmas Day, in which case it could be given away.
I also discovered that it was a tradition that each member of the family stirred in turn, three times in the direction of the sun’s path (in winter it was as well to ensure that the sun would return next spring and to take any available opportunity to help it on it’s way).
The mandatory number of three stirs was important; in later years the number was conveniently associated with the Trinity and with the Three Wise Men though it had a far older significance, being a pagan good-luck number.
Finally, in order of age, each member of the family wished three times. Only one wish would be granted however, and the nature of the wish was never revealed or it would not be granted.
The pudding mixture was set aside for the return of any absent person so that no-one missed his chance.
.
.
Five "Joey's" from my Grandmother.

The mixture itself gradually came to include, among the well-to-do, a number of silver charms. To begin with it was a silver farthing, then a penny. After the Great War, it was the smallest silver coin, a silver threepenny bit, or "Joey". When they went out of circulation it was a sixpence.
Finding a coin brought the promise of wealth to whomsoever found it on his plate on Christmas Day; a thimble denoted the prospect of a single life, while a silver ring forecast a wedding.
.
.
My Mother's old cookbook again showing her recipe for the year 1951 (every year there was a subtle change....I can't imagine why). The silver threepenny bits are the actual ones used by my Grandmother and have been passed down in the family.
.

15 comments:

  1. fascinating.... and I am not that keen on christmas pudding but my brother zeltus makes gorgeous versions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you did this post because it saves me now!
    I think the Sunday in question is either late November or early December - too late for me.
    I will make another 6 or so puds soon.
    My Mum used to put coins in puds when I was young and I carried it on, but I never know when I'm making them which ones(s) I will keep and which will be given away so I don;t do it now. I'm wary of putting them in ones that get sold or given away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely wonderful to have your dear Mammas recipe book! You must be so pleased to have those silver Joeys, I have never seen one before, but one of the ladies I look after knew exactly what one was.Kath
    ps I love your little plum pudding man, he has a very self-satisfied expression on his face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back memories. I have my grandmothers recipe book (written in 1901) and a dozen silver sixpenses. If we didn't choke to death eating her pudding which was crammed with coins, we used to hand them back to be used the following year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of stir up Sunday before and I thought I knew all the Christmas traditions...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of comments this morning.
    Thank you all. How did I get involved in a "Pudding Post" when I have never made a Christmas pudding in my life?
    Oh yes, it was Foody making hers' on Saturday.
    My mother used to wrap the coins in grease-proof paper if I remember correctly. You found them more easily and as DD said, it stopped you choking to death!
    I don't suppose this sort of tradition gets mentioned with all the usual Christmas ones, as it is carried out weeks in advance.
    Another little strange custom was to keep the sprig of Holly from the top of the pudding and place it beneath the following years pud.
    This was to complete the cycle of 'good luck'
    May I thank you all as a group rather than individually. Thanks.
    Bernard.
    Now what shall I do today?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I'm hopeless in the kitchen, but among my gt Aunts paper work was a christmas pudding recipie on the back of a letter. I'll have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Cherrypie, I'm guessing you are not an "Archers" fan, Ruth and Jill had a stir-up-Sunday and that was the first I heard of it too :) Kath

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny you should mention that Eliza, my mothers book was full of 'back of an envelope' recipes. I can remember Mom saying to Nan "That was delicious, you must give me the recipe"....so out came an old envelope!

    Who are the Archers Kath? Am I missing out on something?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Bernard, I can't make up my mind whether you are teasing me or not :) Radio 4, Sunday morning at 10am? K

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh! Is it still going? Now my Grandmother used to listen to that program....was it Dan Archer? A lot of Ooo Arrrs and farming tips. I would have thought that all the characters were dead by now.
    I'm not a radio person...I'm a busy bee in my workshop, garden etc or just out & about.
    PS I also do not have a telly so know nothing at all about Carnation St and things like that.
    Cheers....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now, what I really miss is fig pudding. Here in the states, my aunt would go to the English bakery, Worthington's, to buy it. Yummy with a sweet white sauce. Nowadays, I'm a sucker for a bowl of just the white sauce! (The bakery is long out of business) A Brit friend in Florida gave me a recipe for the pudding, but I haven't tried it yet. None of my family is fond of the idea of suet as an ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We were brought up on suetie puds!
    They were cheap of course. Usually full of currants and syrup. I shall see if my mother had a recipe in her book for fig pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So Bernard, you must have eaten Bacon Badger, an old favourite in our house (Fried onions, bacon, sage, tomatoes and a bit of branston pickle all wrapped up in a suet pastry).A nice parsley or white sauce completes the dish. I might make one this weekend! Kath

    ReplyDelete